Hyperthyroid and methimazole transdermal gel - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Hyperthyroid and methimazole transdermal gel

My kitty finally got diagnosed properly with hyperthyroid, and the vet has started her on methimazole transdermal gel. We're actually waiting for the specialty pharmacy to deliver it today! When I did an internet search, most said it was as effective as the pill form. But others said NOT. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Cool Cat

I guess it would depend on how the cat's skin is able to absorb it,

as long as your cat is not real ill, it may be worth a try,

but if your cat is pretty ill,

get the pill and be sure it gets into her system.

the circulation to the kidneys gets back to normal,

and then she can be tested for kidney funtion,

the high thyroid levels have also created a condition that makes the kidney function look better because all the extra blood flowing threw them,

then when the blood circulation gets back to normal, the kidneys need to be tested again,

I would worry about the medicine not being absorbed and not decreasing the thyroid function.

maybe worth having the Vet review the kidney function numbers with you,

Specific gravity has been high in mine,

creatine and one more I can't think of, but your Vet should know.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Just an update on our kitty, Misty. She has been on methimazole transdermal gel for 2 weeks now, and we have seen a remarkable difference. She has gained 2 pounds back (she had lost a total of 6, and looked positively skeletal), her appetite is returning to normal, and her fur is getting more full and soft again. The vet said we're not out of the woods yet...the dosages will have to be regulated to make sure she is getting enough but not too much of the medication. So we give a big thumbs up for the transdermal gel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, that a very nice recovery story, glad the stuff works for you!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Premier Cat

That's great news!
I wish I had known about the gel when my cat was hyperthyroid. He hated taking his pills!

Victoria
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

its all good news

Just an update on our kitty, Misty, diagnosed around the middle of April with hyperthyroid. She has been taking methimazole transdermal gel every day without fail (and without protest from her). All her lab values continue to come back normal now. We have an excellent house-call vet who monitors her closely, and he expects her to live a long, relatively healthy life.

The last hurdle to overcome has been her aggressiveness towards her sibling brother. With much patience and (thankfully!) the suggestion of Comfort Zone Diffuser with Feliway from another cat forum member, our household is seemingly back to normal.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Cool Cat

Great for her too, glad to hear everything is going well, and now the cat forum has a log of how the methimazole transdermal gel in the ear works too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page