Need directions on dipping my kitten, pleez - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Need directions on dipping my kitten, pleez

It may sound like a dumb question... I assume it's different than shampooing, but I need to dip my kitten in lime sulphur dip to help get rid of ringworm.

Can someone please tell me how it's done? I'm really frustrated!! It has spread from one little patch to 3 little patches on Ellie. I've got one other cat and 4 kids.... I just really really REALLY don't want it to spread beyond Ellie!

So far, we are using medicated shampoo from the vet and Conofite (miconozole nitrate) ointment on the infected areas.

Anything else I can do??? I can't get the dip until Monday, because the vet is currently out of it.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Cool Cat

We had the lime sulfur dip done for one of the cats at the shelter I work PT at last week but they did it at the vets. I would ask the vet and they should give you complete instructions because I know there is a specific procedure to make sure it works.

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Cool Cat

I found something on my yahoo group for work that explains the procedure but I would still consult with your vet.

Here you go.... Scroll down to Recommended Treatment Protocol
http://giveshelter.org/resources/dermatophyte.php

edit: As far as what else you can do.... wash wash wash! That article should give you some pointers, but remember that ringworm is a fungus that spreads by spores so you need to wash everything you can consistently. Place towels over their furniture you can't wash and wash the towels - the more the better.

Vaccuum and dust a lot - wash your hands a lot. If you can quarantine them to a certain area that is even better.

It sucks but you can do it. It just takes being consistent!! Well that and a good dose of luck!

Let us know how it goes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you! That article was precisely what I needed to read! It was extremely helpful.

I will be sure to get the lime sulphur dip on Monday frm the vet and I'm going to treat Cookie too, just to be sure he's clear. I have Ellie in a big Pet Porter so she's away from our furniture and Cookie. Cookie didn't like her AT ALL at first, but he's becoming increasingly curious and friendly with her, so I'm a little nervous about him getting it too.

I'm a clean freak... bleach is my best friend... so I'll just keep it that way for a few weeks. I hope it's soon cleared up!!!

Thanks again for the helpful insight!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 PM

I don't know where you live, but check with your vet about Program flea product. It has proven to be quite helpful in curing ringworm in dogs and cats. It beats lime dip!! If your vet doesn't have the information about this protocol, go to the Program web site and get the information for him and maybe he'll go ahead and let you treat the cat that way. I just cured a little dog within 3 days.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page