Can't Get My Cats To Eat Cat Treats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Can't Get My Cats To Eat Cat Treats

I have given up on getting my two cats to eat treats. They simply don’t or won’t and they turn their noises up at almost everything.

Before I was “educated” about food quality I would treat my cats to a Pounce or Temptation or some other supermarket cat treat. After learning about cat food quality, how to read labels and making better choices I made the switch to a more holistic food. I also started adding canned food to their diets. After the switch, my cats started turning their noses up at previously loved treats. I can’t say that I blame them, seeing as the main ingredients in the treats are, wheat, corn and by-products and since they were on a better diet they, didn’t want anything to do with “junk.”

So I started looking around for some better quality treats. So far I have tried Sank 21 (dried fish pieces), Old Mother Hubbard (made by Wellness) and Feline Greenies. The results are the same – my cats will not eat treats anymore.

I have had luck, however, by baking thin slices of canned food as suggested in the Cat Food Recipes part of this forum. My cats seem to enjoy this as a treat.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem getting their cats to eat treats after changing to a better food? I’m also looking for some good quality treat suggestions.

Thanks
HK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Premier Cat

One of my cats will eat anything! The other has no interest on treats whatsoever.

Victoria
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 PM

If your cats don't like the treats don't give them those particular treats. My cats love greenies but I'm considering not buying them anymore. They're loaded with fillers and have only 27% protein. I don't believe kibble treats are ideal for cats anyway. The best treats are meaty treats. Fresh cooked chicken or turkey or freeze dried meat. If you want to try some really high quality treats here is a website where you can get freeze dried meat treats like wildside salmon, Halo purely for pets live a littles which come in freeze dried chicken, beef, cod, salmon and now lamb! And don't forget the ever popular kitty kaviar which are thin dried tuna shavings. www.thecatconnection.com

I was at an easter party today and a cat named Johan was given a small treat of bits of leftover turkey with a little bit of mashed potatoes. Pounce, greenies, friskies, all that stuff that comes in kibble and semi-moist form is basically junk. Plus I believe that if a cat eats a highly palatable diet that includes canned food they don't really need treats but we all like to spoil them so I go for the meaty, not the grainy treats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:41 AM

I don't give my cat treats very often. Every day she gets a CET cat chew for her teeth which she thinks is a treat. She does like the greenies but I don't give them very often. Usually if I want to give her a treat I will give her a piece of Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Dry. She thinks just plain food is a treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page