severe arthritis- I'm looking for info - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

severe arthritis- I'm looking for info

My cat was rushed to the kitty ER last Sunday- he had lost all use of his rear leg and was having trouble controlling his bowels. X-rays showed and I quote, "the most severe case of arthritis I have ever seen in a cat." He also had a heart murmur and an enlarged heart, but that is another story. After then visiting his regular vet on Monday, I was told to give him 1/2 of a baby aspirin every other day. He now walks with a limp.

(I won't go in to how upset I am about this, as I had repeatedly told my vets (I moved to another state, so changed vets) that I thought he had weak rear legs and was having some strange things going on with his tail- and not once did anyone offer an x-ray...and now to know he's had this awful arthritis and living in pain, etc)

Anyway, I'm looking for folks with kitties in similar situations. Have you supplemented your cat with anything? Changed his/her diet? Vitamins? General care or tips are appreciated. He is about 10-12 years old.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:58 PM

I'm so sorry about your kitty. When Rocky was 14 she started getting a little gimpy. I noticed she had trouble jumping up or down and going up stairs. It was her back legs. They weren't terrible but she was stretching them out alot. I wanted to do something before it got worse. My vet put her on Cosequin for Cats. Wow. After 6 weeks she was running around like she was a youngster again. I bought the first pack from my vet, but then have been buying it online.

http://www.entirelypets.com/cosforcat80c.html, alot of pet online stores sell it.

I highly recommend the carpeted steps by drsfostersmith. We have 5 of them! Next to her favorite places so she doesn't have to jump down. And she loves going up and down them. There is a place for toys and she loves napping in the cubby hole.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2002&Nty=1

All this has really helped Rocky. I wouldn't even know that she had a problem last year with her legs. The best to you to finding a solution for kitty.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:27 PM

It sounds like you should find another vet you have more confidence in. Maybe the ER vet who took the Xray or he could recommend someone. Do you have a feline only vet in your area?

In the mean time, you might post a note on this message board. It is frequented by a couple vets who give great detailed answers. They might be able to give you medical options to ask your vet about.

http://www.cathelp-online.com/forums/index.php

Good luck and I hope you will find the proper care for your cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info and the article on heart disease. We're headed to the cardiologist in just a bit, so it was nice to know something about it before going in.

I'm going to look into the holisitic vet- and I'm already a strong believer in Coenzyme Q10 for people, so why not kitties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page