Newbie looking for advice...Should I be concerned about this - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Newbie looking for advice...Should I be concerned about this

Hi! We just adopted a new Maine Coon female yesterday, age 8 mos. She is actually our other Maine's littermate. Our breeder is having some health problems and is re-homing several cats and we were lucky enough to get Clementine's sister.

To make a long story short: I'm very concerned that she's not eating or drinking since she's been here. (about 24 hours now) I know she's going through a big adjustment but I know she's got to be hungry and thirsty. When should I start to be concerned?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Tomorrow.

It's not unusual for cats to lose their appetite after the stress of a move to a new home. But it's not good for cats to go longer than two days without food. If she's not eating and drinking by tomorrow, you might need to force-feed her. You can mix in some warm water with canned food and put the "soup" in an oral feeding syringe. Hold her head up and squeeze a little in between her lips. With her mouth closed, she has to swallow. You can get her to drink the same way. The syringes are available at pet stores.

But before you have to go that far, try tempting her with something really tasty: some tuna. And you can mix the juice in the tuna can into her water. But don't leave it sit out as the juice can go bad. Use the tuna trick only as long as it takes to get her eating again.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Cool Cat

Call your breeder and see when the last time she did eat was,

and if any other cats had such symptoms too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:26 PM

If she is hiding from everyone it might also help to place some food and water near her hiding place so she can get a drink or some food without having to venture out.

Are you keeping her in a room of her own to slowly introduce her to her new home? If not, give it a try. She will get comfortable with the one room more quickly if she has it to herself and maybe feel confident enough to explore other areas after a few days.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to ericalynn429
Hello. Congrats on your new kitty. When i brought home my new kitties on Tuesday, they didnt start to eat unitl wens night and when they ate THEY ATE like pigs. I think they were to occupied by a new place and wanting to explore and play. We left food out for them, they just walked by it.
I would give it till tomorow. If they dont start to eat, i would contact the breeder and take them to the vet.
Good luck

<3 Life Isnt about finding Perfection<3 Its about taking what you have and making it perfect <3
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 12:14 AM

Put the food and water where the cat likes to hide/stay. Offer it something really good. Don't force feed the cat, it will on traumatize him and he'll have a trust issue with you. Since he just met you it's not a good idea to frighten him. If he doesn't eat by day 3 bring him to the vet. He may need some IV fluids if he is dehydrating.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Update

Thanks for all the advice. I did contact my breeder and she said Mizzie might not eat for a couple of days because it's a big adjustment for her. Apparently, there was another cat she was living with whom she was very close to and she probably misses him as well. I felt better after talking to her. Anyway, this morning I brought her in to where the other two cats eat and she ate both some wet and dry food. I wouldn't say she ate like a pig but it's a start. She's also starting to come out of her "safe place" more often so I think she's starting to come around!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to ericalynn429
Thats great to hear!

<3 Life Isnt about finding Perfection<3 Its about taking what you have and making it perfect <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page