Big thanks to Cat Forum and Epetpals.com - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Big thanks to Cat Forum and Epetpals.com

Thanks to this board and epetpals I found out that I've been feeding my cat the wrong food for two years. My vet's office recommends Science Diet and that along with the labeling/marketing/pricing made me think it must be the best stuff on earth and so without hesitation I chose this for his adult food. I've been feeding him this stuff for the last 2 years (he's 2 and a half now). Recently I stopped shopping at Petco due to a problem I had with their treatment of small animals (see my post in the lounge) so I looked for a new place to buy stuff and found the prices to be much cheaper online. What surprised me though was the the site where I was shopping said they no longer carry nor recommend Science Diet. I straight away went to the diet section on this board and found out that I was feeding my cat corn gluten meal and byproducts (it didn't occur to me to read the ingredients all this time). So thanks to this board and epetpals (no affiliation - just a new happy customer) I found out I can do much better for my cat (and anyone who knows me knows that my cat is my number one love). So thank you all. Now here's hoping that he will eat and enjoy the Wellness Super5 that I ordered for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Cool Cat

Hey mylittlezoo!

Many of us improved the diets of our furbabies once we learned more about feline nutrition from this board. Good on you for caring enough to do the research and make the necessary changes!

My boys eat a 50/50 diet of Wellness dry and wet, and they love the Super 5 dry food! My Binx is a picky eater, too, so that's saying something! I have high hopes for you and your little ones. Please keep us updated on the transition.

Remember: transition slowly (mixing a little first, then increasing the new food) to the Wellness, otherwise tummy upset might be the result.

Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Tom Cat

I feed my kitten Science Diet... what's wrong with it? For the price, it can't be trashy food!! I can't find any other canned food brands other than grocery store varieties around here. I just bought some today for my kitten and the only corn it listed was corn syrup and corn starch.

If they are doing fine on Science Diet, what's the harm in it? It would be nice if someone could please explain this to me. I tried researching, but each brand's website claims to be the best in the world, so it's hard to get an unbiased answer!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
The thing about Science Diet is that, for the price, it's NOT as good as it's leading you to believe! If you do a bit of reading on how to choose a quality cat food and how to read an ingredients label, you'll see that compared to other foods in it's price range, Science Diet is actually low quality. Sure it's better than grocery store stuff, but it's not great.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Premier Cat

Well, for starters it has meat-by-products! But from what I remember doesn't it also have brewers rice and corn gluten? And corn syrup in cat food! Seems like a good start for feline diabetes!
As Vanillasugar said, the best thing you can do is some research of your own. A good start is the sticky at the top of Health and Nutrition about wet verses dry.
If you can't fine other food in your area you can always order online.

Victoria
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvcookie
I can't find any other canned food brands other than grocery store varieties around here. I just bought some today for my kitten and the only corn it listed was corn syrup and corn starch
The corn gluten meal is in the dry food. I'm not sure about the canned food.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

He is loving the Wellness Super5. He was so excited when I gave him a bowl of this this morning - he was purring nonstop and rubbing against me and he devoured it in minutes.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Cat Addict

mylittlezoo, is that a picture of your sugar glider? It was either a cat or one of those for me, I chose a cat, easier to take care of.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Yep, that's one of my two gliders in the photo.

A cat is easier to bond with but the care of the gliders is pretty easy and once they're bonded they are amazing pets. And surprisingly they get along pretty well with my cat.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so glad he's liking his new food. Yippy!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page