Their first taste of raw... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Their first taste of raw...

Just a little while ago I thawed some Bravo for the FurKids. It's chicken.
Dude, who eats just about anything, did eat a good bit of it but not a lot. I gave them their regular Nutro can before offering them some Bravo and I think that's why Dude didn't eat a lot. Kit N. sniffed the food, then looked at me as if to say, "What's this, and do you really expect me to eat it?!" The DustBunny sniffed it at length before finally taking a bite and she chewed it with an expression like, "Ok, this is different but not too bad."

I think I might have trouble with Kit N. I will try mixing in some Bravo with her canned food at every meal and see if she takes more of a liking to it. I'm also going to get some different meats (I'll try salmon next, what cat would turn THAT down?) to see what they like the best.

Anyone else got some more thoughts or ideas on how to make the switch less painful for the FurKids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:18 PM

My senior cat is now eating raw food for almost a year. His stool problems have gone, his formerly scraggy fur is now shiny and soft.

But when I first introduced raw food to him, he looked at me as if to say, what, are you going to poison me? He wouldn't even sniff at it for any length of time. My other cat (who meanwhile got run over, unfortunately) was braver and ate raw food almost immediatly. I think it really helped to have one non-fussy cat because Nelson sort of looked at her and obviously thought, well, if she's not dying of it, I might give it a try as well. Mind you, this occurred to him after a week or so.
I cut the meat to really tiny bits about half as big as my thumbnail (I have small hands) and put it on top of their canned food. Yes, I know it's not very healthy that way and shouldn't be tried with really sensitive cats. It also works to drop little pieces of the meat you are cutting up so that your cat can steal it. You can boil or fry the meat for a short time and reduce the boiling time for each serving. But basically, don't give up on them! Keep offering them raw meat and eventually they will accept it. They will take some time to adjust to the new diet, but it's really worth it!

And I think it went very well for your cats' first meat-meal; they and you did a wonderful job!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

I just thawed it in a Ziploc bag in some hot water, then put it on a plate and set it down. I thought I'd let them sample it for the first time, I'm now going to add a little to their canned food and slowly increase the amount each week. I know most people say you can switch a cat's food in only a week, but I like to take a month or more.

I'm hoping Kit N. will accept the raw a little easier if I try to ease her into it. The other two will probably not mind the new food as much. I just hope it helps Dude with his skin and hair problem. I'm unfortunately starting to lose confidence in my vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 05:30 PM

It can sure help Dude. But remember to give it some time. Probably his skin and hair will get worse at first. Don't panic when that happens. My long haired cat especially lost a lot of hair, the first weeks I gave him raw food. It has something to do with cleansing the body of toxic stuff.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann*
It can sure help Dude. But remember to give it some time. Probably his skin and hair will get worse at first. Don't panic when that happens. My long haired cat especially lost a lot of hair, the first weeks I gave him raw food. It has something to do with cleansing the body of toxic stuff.

I have been feeding my cats raw for several months. They didn't like it at first, but now they love it.

One of my cats went through a transitioning period (cleansing)..and I almost gave up. Now their fur looks very healthy, and they have tons of energy. I am so glad I stuck with it.

just my 2 cents...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Well, my girls eat raw now, but PJ (who will soon be joining us) eats 9 Lives *ugh*

I'm hoping he makes the transition to raw smoothly, but I think it may take a while
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Beautiful! Kit N. ate with gusto tonight, I mixed the raw food into their canned instead of offering it "on the side" and she didn't hesitate at all. Maybe it won't be so hard to convert her after all. [/fingers crossed]

Ann* and fuzzywuzzy, what sort of things went on during your cats' "cleansing" period that I might see mine go through? So I'm not so freaked out if it happens? Did they seem like they were getting really sick?

Also, does anyone have a favorite brand of vitamin supplement to use with the raw food? I was considering using Missing Link because a few cat people that are regulars at my store rave about it, but now I'm not so sure after reading the things about the alfalfa in it.

Oh...what about the occasional egg mixed in there? Yes? No? Maybe so?
I can get them fresh from my boss who has a bunch of pet chickens and is always making it "mandatory" for us employees to take home some eggs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Yay!! I'm glad they took to it better this time

Buddy went through a bit of a "detox" as well when I switched him over to raw. He got really itchy and had a big patch of skin go flakey with bad dandruff, but it went away within a week. Other things I've heard of occuring during the transition period is weepy eyes, ear infections, stool issues (diarreah or constipation), skin issues, etc. I've been told it's best to let these symptoms work themselves out if it does arise, because the body is getting toxins that have built up out of the system.

As for supplimentation, Missing Link is more meant to be used as a compliment to kibble, not for a raw food diet. Wysong makes a "complete" suppliment called Call of the Wild, which I've heard excellent things about.

I don't know anything about eggs! Sorry

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I hope the Duder doesn't have skin issues after he starts eating only raw. He's got enough problems in that department already!

I'll look into getting the Wysong supplement, according to their website there are no places to buy it here in town but we finally did open a bank account so I will be able to order it online soon.

I was hoping I could find something good at the store I work in but all the supplements they sell besides Missing Link don't really look all that complete to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page