Dental Care: Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Dental Care: Help!

Hello all!

My boys are in their "terrible two's" now, and I'm beginning to see some yellowing of their teeth. The boys have never let me brush their teeth or even get my fingers near their mouths, but I'd like to somehow help them keep healthy gums and teeth.

They are on a 50/50 diet of Wellness canned and Wellness dry, so their diet is great. But, even with a healthy diet, plaque will build up.

Are there any products I might use to help keep my boys' mouths healthy? I've seen those "chew treats" that are supposed to prevent and clean build-up, but I am skeptical. Any thoughts? Taking them to the vet is out b/c it is too costly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned

Sorry, but nothing takes the place of tooth brushing and tooth cleaning.

The dental chews might postpone the inevitable, but the good ones are expensive: $10 for a bag of 30 CET Chews. Or $120 a year for one cat. That's about what a dental cleaning (without complications) can cost.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Sorry, but nothing takes the place of tooth brushing and tooth cleaning.

The dental chews might postpone the inevitable, but the good ones are expensive: $10 for a bag of 30 CET Chews. Or $120 a year for one cat. That's about what a dental cleaning (without complications) can cost.
Well, doesn't everything just postpone the inevitable?

Now that Jim and I have a mortgage payment (first-time home owners, thank you very much! ), we can't afford to pay $240 dollars all at once to have the boys' teeth cleaned. I can pay $10 every once in a while. That's much more do-able, you know?

I just don't see cats as chewers, you know? Has anyone used the dental chews?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

I think it depends on the cat. One of my cats chews it up pretty good and another just bites it in half and then swallows both halves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie
Well, doesn't everything just postpone the inevitable?
Yeah, the story of my life!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM

For the first 14 years, I hadn't brushed Rocky's teeth because she wouldn't let me. I was lucky her teeth were always good until 14 and the dentist said she needed to have them cleaned. Lucky again, no problems and no teeth had to be pulled . But it bothered me that she had to be put under to have her teeth cleaned. At her advancing age I don't want to have to do that unless really needed. So I decided to tackle brushing her teeth. Now that we got the hang of it - it isn't that bad. I have to sit on top of her (!) and hold her mouth in my hand. But I talk gently to her and say in a positive voice how it is time to brush her teeth. She might not totally enjoy it but it is worth it. Then afterwards she knows she gets a CET cat chew. My vet said if I can brush her teeth twice a week even that will help so much. Usually we do it at least twice a week. With the CET cat chews, to help- they have to chew it. Otherwise worthless. It took Rocky a little bit to get the hang of it but now she does. I figure the brushing and chews together is better than going under again. I have tried a couple of different cat toothbrushes but found this is the softest , smallest and works the best:

http://www.product-finder.net/fuzzy/C-E ... -Cats.html

I can't stand using the finger brushes. You can find this online or at petstores.

Congratulations on buying your first house! I remember those days and spending a little every month seemed alot easier. But you want to make sure to take care of the teeth otherwise you could end up with huge vet dental bills for teeth being pulled etc. Try the brushing. Just do a little at a time. They will get use to it (even if they won't love it).
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks to both of you. The oral hygeine kit looks good... perhaps I will give it a go. The brushing in combo with the chews sounds like a winning idea.

You know, I got cats because I wanted companionship, but didn't want kids. Now, my cats have become my "kids" and I only want the very best for them. Talk about irony...

I'll let you all know how it goes!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Premier Cat

Also, ask your vet if he/she can do a scaling when they go for their annual exam. Mine does it. Again, it won't take the place of a full cleaning under anesthesia but it can really help.

Victoria
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
Also, ask your vet if he/she can do a scaling when they go for their annual exam. Mine does it. Again, it won't take the place of a full cleaning under anesthesia but it can really help.
What is a scaling? Can you explain this, please? I'm curious. >^.^<
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
My favourite thing in the world is Dentatreat! It's made by Wysong. It's a powder, to sprinkle on their food, and it works by enzymes to break down tartar. You only have to use it for a few weeks every 6 months! It's fabulous

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar
My favourite thing in the world is Dentatreat! It's made by Wysong. It's a powder, to sprinkle on their food, and it works by enzymes to break down tartar. You only have to use it for a few weeks every 6 months! It's fabulous
Cool! Thanks for the info! I'll ask my specialty store if they carry it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page