Staining after dipping? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Staining after dipping?

Okay, I finally got my hands on some LymDip today and both big cat and little cat got dipped. Ellie has 5 areas of ringworm now, but Cookie still has none as far as I could tell, so it's mainly a preventative for him.

My small white kitty is now a lovely shade of bright yellow! She looks like an Easter egg! The big boy, Cookie, is big time offended that he is gray and yellow, instead of his normal colors and they both stink to high heaven like rotten eggs.

How long are they going to be stained? When can they have a normal bath? Is this mess for sure worth the trouble??

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Jr. Cat

I had this same thing happen to a show dog years ago.... it does fade over time. As I recall it took months, though.

There are oral ringworm meds like Griseofulvin that I would find far preferable... the stench of that stuff is unforgettable.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/ringworm.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Tom Cat

Griseofulvin is pretty expensive though, and the treatment time is 6 weeks. Giving a cat oral medication once a day for 6 weeks sucks! However, I did opt for this treatment rather than the dip. Also, are you keeping the cat with ringworm separated from the other cat in an "easy-to-clean" area of the house?

If not, even after getting her completely ring-worm free, the fungus lives in the environment for quite some time. Thus, you, your family, and your other kitty could be suceptible to reinfection over and over again. Bleach is really the only thing that completely eradicates the fungus in the environment.

We brought in a kitten that had ringworm, kept him completely separate for the entire treatment period and cleaned the bathroom where we kept him with bleach. However, we had brought him home in a carrier that we forgot to clean. So, about 2 months later, we took one of our other cats to the vet in the carrier, and a spot showed up on him as well.

Just a fair warning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks guys for the replies!

I just have to hope that Ellie begins grooming herself better soon. Cookie's yellow areas are almost white, so he must be cleaning himself like crazy.

I appreciate the tips, Parker. I am keeping Ellie in a big Pet Porter and I bleach it and her bedding about every other day. I vacuum the room it sits in that often too.

I believe I can tell a difference today in the 5 spots she has. There's no flaky stuff in those regions and it looks like normal skin. She's still getting the ointment, though.

Do you suppose I can shampoo her in medicated shampoo in a day or two, then dip again at the 6 day mark with LymDip. It would work out that she'd be getting dipped or shampooed about every 3-4 days. Would that be too aggressive for an 8 week old? I only plan to dip her one more time, unless she has another outbreak.

Poor little baby. I can't wait until we can get her out and let her play! She acts lonely! None of us can hold her or pet her. I have to touch her to give treatments, but that's the extent of it. I feel really bad for her!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page