In need of the BEST kitty litter for a multi cat house hold! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

In need of the BEST kitty litter for a multi cat house hold!

Hi everyone,
I recently lost my himmie to an unknown illness that even the vet couldnt figure out. I will be adding two 7 month old persians to my clan of 4 , so Ill have a total of 6 cats; 4 persians and 1 DSH and 1 DLH.
Anyhow, I need advice as to what kind of kitty litter to buy. I went from clumpng to silica to swheat in the past year. Is there anything that anyone with several cats, swear by?
Thanks so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

I don't know if this is really the answer you're looking for, but IMO the best litter for a multiple cat household is litter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg AND most important, is litter that all the cats will use. And what fits that criteria for somebody else isn't necessarily right for you, either, because your cats might have different preferences.

But hey, don't let me discourage anyone else from naming brands!!

I'd say that since you're bringing in fairly young cats, they're more likely to be able to adapt to what you already use. So if you're using something now that you're satisfied with, and so are your cats, just keep using it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 09:34 PM

How is the Swheat Scoop working out for you? If it seems to be OK with the management committee (your cats!) maybe you will find this to be helpful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:50 PM

I used to have 6 cats, now it is only 4. I used to buy cheap clay Sani-Sorb orange bags. All cats were fine with it.
But, my cats are just cats. Maybe you need to use better quality litter for pure blood cats like persians?
Trying different litters I came to conclusion that is does not matter what to use - it all goes to dumpster. Unless you want to "go green" and use organic dust-free decomposable grains.
If you are concerned about smell that a litter supposed to neutralize, I can recommend adding a layer of plain baking soda on the bottom of litter box before you put the litter in. Cats usually do not dig so deep, but the urine goes down and soda absorbs bad smell...
:0)Now I start hesitating - can I add baking soda and use clay litter whithout any harm to the cats?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:32 AM

Arm n Hammer Multi Cat works well for my 2 girls.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:35 PM

I love the swheat cat litter! My litter box doenst smell and it is VERY easy to clean
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Tom Cat

I have gone to using layer crumbles which is chicken feed. I works just as good as Swheat (which I used before this). A pro is that it is super cheap, a con is that it is dustier (at least the layer crumbles not sure about chick starter).

Hope this helps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:25 PM

I have recently begun using Nature's Miracle. It seems to have all of the benefits of the various other ones I've tried and liked without the negatives. Smells great, flushable, not dusty. Only real issue is that it occasionally tracks a tiny bit more than other litters.

Previously I have used World's Best and Arm & Hammer and liked both of those. The former gets a little "weird" after a while, not sure how to describe it. Pale and hard almost. The latter smells bad after a while. Nature's Miracle seems to smell decent indefinitely. Nature's Miracle is a bit pricey, though, at $10 for a 10 lb bag.

I do not like swheat scoop. It is the dustiest litter I have tried. If the litter above is even dustier, that would make me feel like I'm living in the desert I would guess.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I have gone to using layer crumbles which is chicken feed
Could you please tell more about the layer crumbles? What is it, how does it look like, and where I can buy it :0)?

Thank you
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Tom Cat

This is a discussion already going on in catforum about chicken feed https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=31072 people have posted a lot of good info about it. I use layer crumbles made by Purina Mills called Layena. I cant find the exact ingredients but this is what I have pieced together: wheat middlings, ground corn, calcium carbonate, canola meal, rice bran, safflower, dehulled soybean meal, and vitamins and minerals. My package didn't say. As for a pic, on the other discussion that I have listed has one. You would be able to find it or any other chicken feed at a farm store or feed store. I would recommend that you use layer crumbles or chick starter.

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page