Bathing Maine Coon Cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Bathing Maine Coon Cats

Hello All,

I saw a program on PBS last night that featured breeders of Maine Coon cats and how they prepared them for showing. On the program, they said to bathe the cat using gojo hand cleaner to strip the grease from the fur followed by woolite and a deep rinse. I then looked online and found this article: http://www.coonyham.com/grooming.html, which seems to backup what I saw on PBS last night. My question IS do you think this is healthy for the animal? I would like to give our cat Tazz a bath and was thinking of following the directions listed on the website.

Thanks!

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 03:32 PM

When I bathe my MC for a show here's my routine:

I use GOOP hand cleaner (much like gojo), the plain version and lather his dry coat up. This gets any oil off. I wait a few minutes, then I rinse thoroughly with water. Then I lather him up with non-scented Ivory dish soap. Then I thoroughly rinse with water. Then I use shampoo. Thoroughly rinse with water. Then I use conditioner, and thoroughly rinse with water. For the final step I use about a tablespoon of vinegar in about 32 ounces of water and poor that over him. The vinegar rinses off any soap residule. After that I rinse, rinse, rinse some more.

I know many people that have been doing this for YEARS and YEARS and not ONE problem.

Generally for a "at home" bath (ie. when I'm not bathing for a cat show) I might not do as many steps.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxnKats
When I bathe my MC for a show here's my routine:

I use GOOP hand cleaner (much like gojo), the plain version and lather his dry coat up. This gets any oil off. I wait a few minutes, then I rinse thoroughly with water. Then I lather him up with non-scented Ivory dish soap. Then I thoroughly rinse with water. Then I use shampoo. Thoroughly rinse with water. Then I use conditioner, and thoroughly rinse with water. For the final step I use about a tablespoon of vinegar in about 32 ounces of water and poor that over him. The vinegar rinses off any soap residule. After that I rinse, rinse, rinse some more.

I know many people that have been doing this for YEARS and YEARS and not ONE problem.

Generally for a "at home" bath (ie. when I'm not bathing for a cat show) I might not do as many steps.
Could I JUST USE the Ivory soap? Not sure tazz would ALLOW me the time required to take all those other steps. Also, since I am using Advantage on him I'd rather not bahte him with other treatments that might interact with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Well, I wouldn't just use Ivory (and nothing else), you really need at least the conditioner after that so not to dry out the coat. If you don't want to use a pet shampoo, I'd go with at least Panteen conditioner, it works well with cat's coats.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't just use Ivory (and nothing else), you really need at least the conditioner after that so not to dry out the coat. If you don't want to use a pet shampoo, I'd go with at least Panteen conditioner, it works well with cat's coats.
Thanks! I have some Panteen here already. Could I just Sauve Shampoo instead of the ivory?

Thanks Again!

Clint
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:27 PM

Yep, you can.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep, you can.
Great!!.......Looks like tazz might be getting WET in the near future!

Clint
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

Bathing shouldn't interfere with topical flea treatments, as those are absorbed into the skin.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Banned

Shouldn't you use cat shampoo?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 03:12 PM

If you bathe often you usually should use cat shampoo, just depends, but Panteen is a good shampoo to use...just use the conditioner too. Plus I'm not impressed with the cat shampoos you find at PetSmart and the likes.

Years of cat showing and bathing cats have taught me which shampoo works for white cats. My longhairs get pantene, my slick, short, tight coated ones get someone else, my short/plush coated ones get yet another type...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page