The Vet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

The Vet

I have 2 indoor cats, both 2 years old. How often does everyone take their cats to the vet for a check up and shots? My vet recommends every year, which I have been doing, but then I also hear that indoor cats can go every 3 years for shots. What do you all do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Since I breed and show I vaccinate every second year against panleukopenia (show rules) and every year against cat flu. However, every third year should be enough if you have indoor cats and don't show and/or breed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Banned

Once a year for a checkup and once every three years for vaccinations. Except rabies is better given once a year, because the three-year rabies vaccine has a higher risk of vaccine-induced sarcoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 07:17 PM

I take mine once a year for check-up and shots and rabies.
They both live indoors all the time.

I also take them to the vet if they are sick. Lately with my kitten's Giardia it seems like I am at the Vet's every other week.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Premier Cat

Mine get a full check up once a year and vaccines every 3 years or so. They are indoor cats too. When I had my old man,15 years, he got a check up every 6 mos.

Victoria
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:15 AM

From what I understand, different states have different requirements for the rabbies vaccine. In some states (like MD) cats should be vaccinated every year by law, in other states only every three years. As to the other vaccines (combination of distemper herpes virus and calcivirus), once they get the first one, and the boost after one year, I think they shoud get one only every three years. Even if your cats don't need the rabbies vaccine every year, I would take them to the vet once a year for a welness appointment. The vet I went to recomends a visit every six months, but I think that might not be necessary.

Cristina
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 11:53 PM

I only vaccinate for rabies after the initial vaccinations as kittens. If they are strictly indoors, every 3 years would be plenty enough. Recent research suggests that after their kitten boosters, with the exception of rabies requirements, no other vaccines are needed. I sure wish someone would come out with something definitive so we wouldn't have to keep guessing at it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:15 AM

Rocky has gone to the vet every year of her 15 years. It use to be they gave the shots every year, now that it has changed to every 3 years, if your cat is young and healthy, I think that is fine to take them every 3 years. But of course it is up to you and your vet's recommendation. It is so traumatic to take cats to the vet that unless they are having problems I think the stress is unhealthy for them. Any sign of problems they should get right to the vet. Now that Rocky is older , she for sure has to go every year. Her vet says that most older cats go every 6 months but since she is healthy (and he knows I'd bring her in if I saw any changes) every year is fine. She hates going so much. It use to be the vets we've taken her to were lucky to be able to give her the shot, it was so hard to give her a checkup anyways, she was so stressed out. Finally with this current Vet he is able to look her over.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:11 AM

My Angel, who passed away this last year at 18, was cat from ****. Yea, go figure with a name like Angel!! HA!

She had some psychological problems I think that came on right after she was put under anesteshia for a bath as a young cat. She had gotten out of the yard and came home covered in motor oil. I couldn't bathe her so I took her to the vet. They had to of course knock her out and when she came out the sedative she was an entirely different cat.

After that episode she never wanted to be touched for more than a minute, she hated the other cats, she screamed if you touched her. I always said I should have brought her to Hollywood because I could get her to scream a blood curdling scream on cue.

Poor darling was our Angel and we loved her just the same and put up with her eccentric and very nasty attitude. The other animals knew to just stay clear of her.

When I would bring her to the vet for her annual visits, the vet couldn't actually touch her, but only look at her from a distance. Thank God she was never ill unitil a year before she passed away. I actually had to put her to sleep because she developed cancer from her over active thyroid condition. Here's the crazy part, she always let me give her medication to her 2 x's a day with no objections. Go figure!! God bless her, we miss her.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:24 PM

I take mine once a year for rabies since it's the law here, and a check-up. And of course I take them when ever there's anything wrong or possibly wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page