Medi-Cal/Select-Care - Royal Canin Veterinary Diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Medi-Cal/Select-Care - Royal Canin Veterinary Diet

My kitten was diagnosed with Giardia. He has medications to clear this up, but my Vet also suggested that I put him on the Medi-Cal, also called Select-Care in the USA, Hypoallergique (Sensitive) diet. I cringed and reluctantly purchased a 4lbs bag and a few cans of this food.

Now, I am a huge fan of holistic foods and feline nutrition, but nothing I have tried has helped my poor kitty. I have had him and my other cat on Innova Evo, Innova, Felida and Natural Balance. I have also tried the single protein formulas of Felidae and Natural Balance. The results were all the same . . . my kitten has diarrhea. I feed free choice dry with two servings of wet food a day (morning and night).

The Medi-Cal food is defiantly not my first choice, although is doesn’t seem overly terrible. The first ingredients are potatoes followed by duck and fish in the dry and water and duck in the canned. This did not impress me and the food doesn’t have all the “goodies” that my top choice foods have like apples and cranberries and such. However, it is a gluten-free diet with no by-product and the duck is easily digested. It contains none of the ingredients commonly associated with food allergies and intolerances and has added fructo-oligosaccharides help maintain a healthy digestive tract

More information on the food can be found here:
www.medi-cal.ca
www.medi-cal.ca/consumers/Feline/Hypoal ... tro_EN.asp

I’d like to hear some opinions on this food and some other suggestions as an alternative to feeding this. Feeding a raw diet is not an option as I do not feel comfortable enough with preparing my cat’s diet to ensure that they would be receiving optimal nutrition. Also, I travel for work and I would not dare trust my boyfriend to feed them correctly if they were on a raw diet . . . he needs something easy he can scoop into their bowl once day.

I should also mention that my kitten seems to be improving – no diarrhea or vomiting. Although I am not sure I can credit success to the food it just might be the medications working. Should I leave my cats on the Medi-Cal diet until the Giardia clears-up and then try switching back to their normal foods? Is it possible the my kitten has food allergies or a sensitive stomach and this really is the best food for him?

Thank you
HK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Premier Cat

If your kitty has giardia that would explain the diarrhea. Why do you suspect a food allergy? I've never heard of that food but since you've already bought it I see no harm in feeding it. Whatever you end up feeding just make sure you switch foods slowly. Changing diets can also cause diarrhea and that can just confuse the issue.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page