Specific Brands of High-Protein Cat Food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Specific Brands of High-Protein Cat Food?

Not knowing any better, I've been feeding my cats Friskies and Kitten Chow since I got them (they're 11 months old). After reading all the info on this forum and elsewhere, I'm now completely sold on moving them to premium food and reducing the % of dry food in their diet.

Since I still want to give them a little dry food, I found a feed store that sells Innova EVO, which has 50% protein. My cats have sampled it and seem to like it so far.

But I'm still looking for a high-protein canned food. I can't find one! Every brand I see, even the premium brands recommended by the people here, has a minimum protein content of only 10-13%.

Is there a way of calculating protein that I don't know about? I even found a list, I think on About.com, that listed several brands with protein content up to 50%. But when I visit those brands' web sites, they say 10%. Am I missing something?

I would really appreciate any recommendations for specific brands of high-protein canned food, and where you buy them. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Wet food and dry food measure the nutrients completley differently There is a calculation you can do to figure out the correct "dry matter" percentages for nutrients of wet food, to properly compare them to dry. I unfortunatley do not have this calculation on hand, maybe someone else will?

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Aha! That's exactly the info I needed. Thanks to your tip, I found this page: http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
which had the formula.

I experimentally bought a brand called Solid Gold at the feed store. It has 10% protein on the label, but following the formula, it's really 45% of the dry part.

This was probably in at least one of the sticky articles, but I didn't know what I was looking for when I read them, and I did a lot of skimming of the technical parts. Thanks, Vanillasugar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I thought most of the canned are relative high protein.

As far as dry food is concerned, I highly recommend Drs. Foster and Smith kitten food. You have to buy in bulk around Christmas time to save on shipping and handling.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Shengmei, Dry kitten food is still very high in carbohydrates and calories. My cat Spotty is overweight and the take home information I got from the vet reccommended that he eat canned kitten food but I am not to feed dry kitten food.

Innova Evo, The only reason I won't feed that to my cats is because it is extremely high in calories, almost 600 calories per cup. Apparently in a concentrated dry form they can't seem to make a low carb food at least moderate in calories. But at least the Innova Evo is low in carbohydrates, about 7%, unlike dry kitten food. Canned kitten food is lower in carbs than regular canned adult cat food.

Yes , canned food is very high in protein. That 10% is misleading and people who misunderstand that argue that canned food doesn't have much nutrients, but that is so extremely far from the truth. Canned food usually has about 22% dry matter and if you were to calculate that, it would come out to be about 45% protein. Want to feed a canned food with even more protein than that? The answer is canned kitten food, or one for all life stages. I believe Innova Evo makes a canned formula as well.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I'll have to look again at the canned food brands in the feed store. I had dismissed them all the first time because of the 10% protein. I finally grabbed two cans of Solid Gold only because the clerks were being helpful to a creepy degree. They gave me free samples of the Innova stuff and then stared at me all expectantly while I browsed. I figured I'd better buy something!

The easiest option for canned food would be Nutro, since they sell it at PetSmart. I've seen some people here recommend it. Is it generally considered a high-quality food?

Thanks for the tip on the Innova calories, moggie. I didn't even think to look at that but one of my cats is a little pig, so it might be a problem down the line. I'll check and see if there are other brands that might work better.

It would great if I could find both wet and dry food at PetSmart, because then I could avoid the creepy feed store altogether! What we do for our cats...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well I tried out the Nutro kitten formula last night. One cat loved it so much, he purred while eating it! But one turned her nose up at it, and the others were lukewarm. I'll try some different flavors, and gradually cut back on the Friskies. Hopefully they'll adjust.

The big downside is the cost. At PetSmart, you can only buy the kitten kind in individual Fancy Feast-sized cans. The adult cans are regular sized, but still only sold individually. I'll look around on the Internet and see if I can find it cheaper in bulk. (Any recommendations?)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 PM

Innova and Innova Evo are fairly high protein. The formula is pretty simple, subtract the % moisture from 100, then look at the remainder which will be something like 15-30% and then take the protein % and divide into the remainder. So if it's 20% remainder and it says 10% protein, that means that it's 50% protein in terms of the non-wet-portion.

Evo dry does have a lot of calories, but don't let it deceive you. I would still rather give a cup of evo than a cup of something with lower % protein and a lot of grains with less calories. Think atkins diet... that big slab of steak is a lot of calories too.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
Think atkins diet... that big slab of steak is a lot of calories too.
I hear you...I'm the only person I know who gained weight on the atkins diet.

Here's a question (not something I intend to try, just curious): If you were going to go with only one type of food, would a premium dry food be better than a low-quality wet food, or vice versa?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Green
I hear you...I'm the only person I know who gained weight on the atkins diet.

Here's a question (not something I intend to try, just curious): If you were going to go with only one type of food, would a premium dry food be better than a low-quality wet food, or vice versa?
Hmm... I'd have to check the ingredients of the wet food. I might still go with wet due to long term health implications of insufficiently hydrated cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page