Very picky eater! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Very picky eater!

I just wanted to ask people with picky eaters. How long do I have to wait to see if he'll eat or not a new brand of food?

Taby had been on Science's Diet K/D for kidney disease. Then he was on Purina UR for urinary problems for a while. Then we ran out and for the last week he's been eating cheap Purina's Deli-Cat 'cause I was waiting to take him to the vet, he LOVES that stuff. Vet said he could go back to regular food or Science's Diet Light since it has less proteins and was appropiate for him to fully recover.

He won't go NEAR the stuff. He tried a little when I opened the bag but that's it. He didn't love the K/D but he ate it. I've put two permanent bowls of the Light kind in the house, and he came in this morning after hours of being outside and just sniffed it and left it.

How persistant should I be or is that different for every cat? My Dad's weak and this morning gave him a little Deli-Cat 'cause "it can't be healthy for him to go without food". Maybe the "light" kind has a terrible taste? What do you recommend?

Thanks! I'm kinda clueless, he really dislikes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

Mellie is a picky eater. She used to eat only dry food. Now she eats wet food, buy if I give her a serving of half and half, she'll eat the dry and leave the wet sit. It took me about a year to get her to eat wet food.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:02 PM

Hey, great to see you!!

A lot of cats don't care for prescription food or the like, so that's normal, if very frustrating. I've been lucky so far, so I don't have any suggestions of my own, sorry. I know none of my cats like the Light stuff, it must taste *blah*. I wonder maybe you can find a similar food to the SD Light? Don't know how many products you have available to you, but maybe there's another kind of Light food that might work instead.

Haha, Dad may be weak, but that's ok, I think it's good there's an alternative food until Taby decides to try the Light stuff. No harm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Hiya!

Yeah it might be that it's the Light kind. Vet didn't necessarily said it had be Light, he just suggested it. So I suppose there's still a chance for the regular Science's Diet.. I really just wanna give him better food than Friskies. Sadly there's not that much variety here, no.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:03 PM

There is something about the Science diet! I saw it on sale, and I bought some for my very picky cat which likes only cheap can food. I thought that more expensive Science diet would be a great treat for her. But, she turns her nose away, and runs away from the can! She seems to be scared of Science Diet smell.

Usually to improve protein quality of cheap can food I add some shredded boiled chicken to it. My very picky cat seems to like it. Maybe you can try it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page