Can I make my cat sick? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Can I make my cat sick?

I feel like this is a stupid question, so forgive me if it is, but I tend to worry about things Im not sure about. My boyfriend recently got a 2 year old cat from one of his friends. I'm not exactly sure what shots it has had or of its medical history, and my bf is taking it to the vet this week. The cat seems fine though - no symptoms that we can see of anything being wrong. Well I played with the cat at my bf's house and got myself clawed (playfully) and it drew blood. Now my question is, if I somehow get this cats germs or something in me and I go home and my kitten (playfully) bites or claws me, can he possibly get sick? Im pretty sure that this is impossible and it has to be cat to cat activity for there to be a risk, but it's been a long time since Ive had a kitten and I want to make sure I keep him as safe as I can. My kitten has had all the shots he can get for his age (3 months). Thanks all, and sorry again if this is stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Well, actually that's a pretty good question, because you're talking about a different mode of transmission than most people ask about. The usual question is about whether a cat can catch a person's cold and visa versa. You're talking about the possibility of a cat germ infecting your scratch and then transmitting that through you to your cat. There is such a germ that causes an illness in humans called "cat scratch fever" or bartonella. However, the main concern is with the transmission from the cat to the human, not the human to the cat. In fact, if you google it, you'd be hard pressed to find any information on human to cat transmission. (I was.)

Seeing as how the likelyhood of you getting cat scratch fever from the bite is very very low, and seeing as how this is already a very common germ in cats that seldom causes them to get ill because they already have resistance to it, and seeing as how I can't find any information on it being transmitted from a person to a cat, I don't think you really need to worry about it too much.

edit->error in word order changed meaning
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 PM

At the cat rescue, we wash our hands before going from room to room. When we clean, treat and socialize with the kitties that are in cages in quarantine or sick bay area we wash/santitize our hands between each cage. If we take cats out to love, give medication, weigh, etc we put a towel on and then discard it/put it in the dirty laundry basket so we don't pass on germs. The cats there get Lysene every night with their supper - which is an immune system booster.
Some of the cats are FIV +, have a severe cold, or some have just arrived and we have no clue what to expect until their test results arrive so we certainly don't want to pass anything along.
Needless to say that we never play with our hands in order to avoid getting scratched - which happens some times anyway. And when it does we wash the scratch thoroughly, run it under warm water, put bandage on with neosporine right away so we don't get Cat scratch fever - like Tim mentioned.
I had cat scratch fever and it is very painful. It had to be operated on. It was over $900 - thank goodness I had insurance
But don't panic - you don't get that very easily unless you are very sensitive to it. I had rescued 13 kittens at once at the time and while being too small and with diarrhea had to wash their bottoms a lot in the beginning. They clinged on to my hands pretty tightly while I was taking care of their little rears . I have amazing memories and would do it again any time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies! I feel a lot better now. I did wash out the cut and bandage it, and I washed my hands and arms with antibacterial before I handled my kitten when I got home. It's been a few days now, and we are both fine. My claw cuts are healing nicely. Ill just be a lot more careful around my bf's cat in the future Thanks again!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:13 AM

You are welcome
Glad to hear it looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page