what are the symptoms of diabetes? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

what are the symptoms of diabetes?

We have a kitty that has suffered from seizures for a year now. He is six years old. We've thought we'd lose him a few times but he has pulled through each time. The seisures were under control for about 8 months with the use of phenobarbital but now they are back and the vet has increased the dosage. Someone on here recommended some herbal treatments as well and I am looking into that.

However, both last year and two weeks ago, he had bloodwork done and his blood sugar levels came back high. Vet said probably due from stress. While I'm sure stress can cause high blood sugar, I also wonder at what point would she look into possible diabetes. Could he be having diabete seizures? What would be the symptoms of diabetes in a cat? Does the fact that the phenobarb help control the seizures mean it's not diabetes?

He's excessively hungry, esp. after a seizure - however, he does not use the bathroom more than normal.

Any help appreciated. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

I'm not familiar with this website, but it looks like it might answer any questions you have about feline diabetes:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 PM

If unsure you could always go to another vet for a second opinion. So good that you are paying close attention to him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Premier Cat

I would also consider a second opinion. Nothing against your vet but sometimes a fresh look can be helpful.

Victoria
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Yeah, you need to get a second opinion.
I have a diabetic cat and high blood sugar can cause seizures, but I wouldn't assume that is the cause of the seizures.
Cats will have elevated blood sugar at the vet (called vet stress). How high depends on the cat. Some cats can get pretty high from a trip to the vet alone.
A proper diagnosis of diabetes includes both high blood sugar and a urine test (not sure if it's just sugar in the urine or some sort of sediment thing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page