How can I tell if ringworm is gone? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How can I tell if ringworm is gone?

Is visual observation enough, usually?

Ellie had 5 places of ringworm on her. All the spots have fur growing back and I haven't seen scales for about 4-5 days now.

She hasn't had a new ringworm spot for several days... I believe the last one was around the beginning or middle of last week.

I will take her to the vet tomorrow (they're closed today) and have her checked, but I was just curious what you guys thought.

I have been using Malaseb shampoo and leaving it on her for the full 10 minutes, every other day. Yesterday, I also started giving her the FungRx. I'm also changing her bedding and vacuuming out her cage every day, bleaching it every other day or so. I think I'm pleased with the progress we're making!

So what's your opinion? Do you think from my description that Ellie is nearly cleared up and safe to be around?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:53 AM
Premier Cat

Hey Stephanie, that's good news!
But, no, I would not rely on visual observation. Even though you can't see it the spores could be (and most likely are) still there. I would have the vet check under the light and continue treating, regardless, for another week or so. If you stop treatment too early you could end up back at square one and that would be a major drag! So, I'd say, better safe...
Good luck!

Victoria
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:15 AM

There is also a test, I think it takes up to two weeks to get the results back. The vet takes samples and they check for bacteria growth (it comes up, if any left, after more or les than 10 days)
It sounds like your kitty is clearing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Premier Cat

How's she doing? Any update?

Victoria
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for asking! I'm happy to say that Ellie is totally over it now. I did take her to the vet last week and before he even saw her, he said, "I can tell you right now she isn't cleared up, but I'll look at her any way." Then he had to admit that she was all better, which seemed a little painful to his professional ego. He still wanted me to keep her in a cage for one more week to be sure, and "keep doing whatever it is you're doing to her." So I did for a couple more days, just to see if Ellie would develop more spots or show problems with the previous ones, but she never did and still hasn't...

The vet acted surprised that the kitten was over ringworm that fast!

I would highly recommend FungRx to anyone. It's an oral solution you feed them 2 times a day with a syringe, which isn't easy. But it's totally worth the hassle.
I kept doing Malaseb baths every other day, too, because I didn't like the scaly stuff that kept coming off. The Malaseb kept her cleaner and didn't hinder the situation.

So all in all, it took us 3 weeks to rid her of ringworm. Two weeks of doing what the vet recommended which wasn't working and the ringworm was getting worse... one week after I started with FungRx, she's cleared up. I'm sold!!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

Victoria
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 PM

Do you have to have a prescription for FungRx?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

No, no prescription is needed. I ordered right from their website. It can be found here http://www.fungrx-ringworm-treatment...x-for-pets.htm

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page