How To Give A Cat A Pill - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

How To Give A Cat A Pill

My kitten has been on pills on for 6 days for his giardia. And he has 4 more days of this pill which is given once a morning. The pill is not ever big, actually its 1/4 of a full sized pill (the full size would be roughly the size of an adult Tylenol) that was crushed at the vet's for me.

The first day I tried to give him the pill he spit it back out at me. I kept putting it into his mouth until the pill just eventually disintegrated. The days proceeding went better and I was able to pop the pill into his mouth without much of a fuss. Yesterday, after I popped the pill into his mouth he started chocking and gagging on the pill and managed to spit it back up. I popped it back into his mouth and it stayed down. Today, my clever cat took his pill like normal and about 10 second after he “swallowed” the pill he started vomiting. The pill dissolved before I could get it back into his mouth. I believe the chocking/gagging and vomiting were done on purpose; just like a child would do because they didn’t want to take their medication.

So… he still has 4 more days on this medication, plus I have to pick up another type of pill at the vet’s on Friday to clear up his giardia. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to successfully give a pill to a cat?

I’ve tried hiding it in his food, but he eats around it. Has anyone has any success with the pill-poppers?

Thanks
HK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned

I haven't had any experience with pill poppers or pill pockets. What works for me is to stick the pill way on the back of the cat's tongue, close the mouth, and hold the head up, extending the neck. Then I squirt a little water in between the lips at the side of the mouth with a syringe, forcing the cat to swallow.

Of course, that procedure doesn't help if the cat vomits it back up.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Cool Cat

I haven't used a pill popper, but I've heard that you have to be careful with some kinds because they can hurt the cat's throat.

Can you crush it up into a powder and mix it with wet food? Or if he'll drink tuna water, you could try dissolving it in that.

You have my sympathies, though. I have one cat who just won't take pills, period. He doesn't like wet food or tuna water. He had to have him a tapeworm pill once it took both me and my husband, who held him in a scruff until he swallowed it completely.

We were following specific directions that my husband found on the Internet. I could try to find that web page if you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you crush it up into a powder and mix it with wet food? Or if he'll drink tuna water, you could try dissolving it in that.
I could try crushing it, I guess. But it’s already pretty small. I like the idea of tuna water. If I dissolve it in tuna water it won't affect the properties of the pill? Would he still be getting the medicine that he needs?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 PM

depending on the pill, crushing is not really a good thing. Some pills have special coatings or time released properties and crushing it will negate those.
I've always given mine pills similar to how Tim does it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLO_KITTY
I could try crushing it, I guess. But it’s already pretty small. I like the idea of tuna water. If I dissolve it in tuna water it won't affect the properties of the pill? Would he still be getting the medicine that he needs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
depending on the pill, crushing is not really a good thing. Some pills have special coatings or time released properties and crushing it will negate those.
It would be best to ask your vet, but if they've already cut it into quarters, I would think it would be ok.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Cool Cat

Here's how I do it,

tilt the head, get the jaw to open, drop to back of throat, hold mouth open just a little extra so she has no chance of moving it to the front of her tongue to spit it out.

then I also cut it into 2 or 3 peices, sometimes the smaller peices confuse which one to spit out and she'll swallow them all.

takes practise too, I still have days when I can't seem to win, but changing strategy can help.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Well I only have 3 more days of pills and then he has to start on on liquid medication. YIPPIE - that should be fun.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:35 PM

HELLO_KITTY

I guess I missed this post when I was lurking the other day.

Someone on this forum gave me advice about this a few months ago and it worked for me. I can't remember the poster's username.

Guess you only have a couple more days to give the pills but you could try this and see if it works for you.....

1-Put the pill back as far as you can in the cat's mouth.

2-Hold the cat's mouth closed and blow into it's nose, a short burst of air directly into their nose.

It seems to make the cat swallow. Worked everytime for me.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM

Hi again...

I did a search and here is the thread.. It was allyally that gave me that advice.

giving cats pills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page