You opinion :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

You opinion :)

Hi! I am new here and this is my 2nd post (after my intro). I am looking for some opinions. I have been doing alot of research on ingredients in cat food ( a sometimes scarry subject :-p). I want to give my kitties the best, but I want to know what other people are thinking too

What do you think about the following ingredients??

Cranberries
Blueberries
Parsley
Inulin
L-Carnitine
Chicken Fat
Tomato
Lentils
Carrots
Cellulose

These are all ingredients I have seen at one time or another. How do you feel about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Cranberries are good and help with a cat’s digestive and urinary track.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the info! I really appreciate it!
I am not asking about 1 brand of food in particular, just asking about some of the ingredients that I have seen listed.

My cats are on Wellness dry and all 3 are doing great on it
My oldest used to have a probelm with keeping food down but since we switched her she has not had any issues.

I know a high quality protein source is VERY important in a cats food, but I was curious about the other ingredients in the food.

Since switching my cats I have become really curious about the ingredients in food. It was amazing how much it helped my cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Re: You opinion :)

This info is from a particular manufacturer's site, so some might be taken with a grain of salt.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d= ... ingredient

Still, it's pretty interesting stuff:

Cranberries

Cranberries grow on a low, creeping shrub with slender, wiry stems. The fruit is a berry that is larger than the leaves of the plant. It is initially white, but turns a deep red when fully ripe.

Regular consumption of cranberry juice is supposed to reduce the rate of urinary tract infections.

Blueberries

Blueberries are a good source of fiber and do not pose a health risk in pet foods. They may add an interesting color or flavor to the food, which can affect a pet's taste preference.

Parsley

Parsley is a bright green, biennial herb that is very common in Middle Eastern, European, and American cooking. It is used for its leaf in much the same way as coriander, although it has a milder flavor.

Parsley is valued as a breath-freshener, due to its high concentration of chlorophyll. Parsley is also thought to enhance mental alertness, and affects the immune system.

Inulin

A relatively new highly fermentable fiber, Inulin has not only become widely recognized as a superior prebiotic fiber source, it has also been clinically proven to increase calcium absorption. Derived from chicory roots, Inulin becomes a specific foodstuff for the beneficial bacteria found in the intestinal tract. Benefits from this include firmer stools, reduced risk of colitis and cancers, improvement in glucose and blood lipid metabolism, reduction in gas production (flatulence) and a reduction in fecal odor.

A tasteless white polysaccharide found especially dissolved in the sap of the roots and rhizomes of composite plants.

L-Carnitine

Carnitine, or L-carnitine, is a vitamin-like compound made in the body from the amino acids lysine and methionine. It is found in animal-based, not plant based, sources of protein.

L-carnitine has been used to help with fat metabolism and recent scientific studies indicates that it helps reduce weight in overweight dogs and cats.

Chicken Fat

Chicken fat is obtained from the tissues of chickens in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Chicken fat is the highest of all animal sources in linoleic acid (over 23%), an important element for skin and coat health.

Tomato

Tomatoes are the edible berry of the tomato plant, of the nightshade family.

Aside from their high Vitamin C content, recent research suggests that cooked tomatoes contain nutritional factors that are necessary for prostate health in human males. Like other recent health discoveries, these benefits may also apply to cats and dogs.

Cellulose

Cellulose gum is a chemically treated polymer used by some pet food manufacturers as a thickener in canned food products.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Premier Cat

Just wondering, why is parsley not good?

Victoria
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
"Ground paper products (recycled newspaper and cardboard) are used by many pet food manufacturers. These food additives are under AAFCO's definition of approved cellulose. Sawdust is also AAFCO-approved source of cellulose, as is gound peanut shell - the most common form of fiber in cat food today."
WAIT...WHAT?!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 PM

I heard that fat is the main storage for toxins which we have consumed or produced. Do you think that chicken fat stores all kinds of things like antibiotics, hormons or just toxins whatever they are? I am not a scientist, maybe someone know better about it, and can answer?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Ground peanut shell is not so bad.....when I was a kid I used to ate peanut shells all the time and I turned out to be fine. I also used to chew on papers all the time.

But yeah, Inulin or pea fiber could be better.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuliyaK
I heard that fat is the main storage for toxins which we have consumed or produced. Do you think that chicken fat stores all kinds of things like antibiotics, hormons or just toxins whatever they are? I am not a scientist, maybe someone know better about it, and can answer?
I think there is some truth to that. Chicken fat in a low quality pet food is probably not a great thing. A pet food that uses higher grade chicken is probably ok to have chicken fat.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I dunno...I think those ingredients are added with the best intentions, but do cats really need all that extra plant material? They're carnivores! We can't just apply our standards of good nutrition to them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page