"You just have one of those cats that vomits." - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

"You just have one of those cats that vomits."

That's what my vet said about my cat, Taro. She says she has a cat that vomits twice a week, and seemed to see nothing wrong with it. If anything, she seemed bemused that I had rushed him in after he vomited twice in a two-week period.

This was after the first episode of repeated vomiting, several weeks earlier, when she discovered that he had an intestinal blockage and he had to have an enema. He takes Cat Lax every day now, although this works out really well as far as he's concerned because he loves the taste.

I asked if there was a special diet I should put him on, and she shrugged and said I could try hypoallegenic food. They sell some at the office, but the price made me gulp. I would have to change the entire household over to this diet because he would eat everybody else's food. (Taro will eat anything, he's like a Roomba.) Normally I will spare no expense for my kitties' health care, but that diet would really bankrupt me.

So I'm trying for an intermediate option, one that's not hypoallergenic but is higher-grade. Maybe we'll get really lucky and it will be an allergy to cornmeal or meat by-products that's causing it. Right now I'm trying Nutro Max, which he really seems to like, but the other cats won't eat. Also, the first time I fed it to him, he threw up the next day.

I'll keep working on finding a diet that all my cats can live with. I'm going slow, still feeding them the old stuff mostly so the change isn't a shock to their systems. Hopefully it will work. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have one of those cats that vomits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

I'm with you ... a cat vomitting twice a week isn't normal.

Natural Balance makes a hypoallergenic food called "Venison and Pea" which comes in both dry and wet forms. It's pricey, but I suspect less than what the vet's office offers. I've seen it at Petco. And if it works out for you, Pet Supplies Plus can special order and their price will be less than Petco's.

You might also try adding a probiotic to the diet. There's a product sold at Petsmart that has acidophilus and digestive aids. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name. It's in a spray bottle and is sold under their "Pet Authority" house brand. Another product is called "Bene-bac" but I'm not familiar with it or where to find it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

I was out running some errands and remembered that I forgot to ask if Taro ate really, really fast. Cats that almost inhale their food are prone to vomit. Maybe it's that simple. If that's the case, why don't you try this first: put something in the food bowl to make Taro slow down. Golf balls, ping pong balls, or large smooth clean rocks work. Another trick is to elevate the food dish several inches off the floor (so the food goes down to the stomach.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:24 PM

Vomitting that often cannot possibly be ok.

I haven't seen acidophilus at petsmart here, but I have gotten some from other local pet stores for my cat. She doesn't vomit anywhere near that often but still often enough that it helps. Another alternative would be cat grass. The lower part of the stalk has some enzymes helpful for digestion in some cats.

In addition to over-eating, switching foods too quickly can cause this, as can numerous mild infections.

Rather than go for the prescription hypo-allergenic foods, you could try just switching to a more "natural" brand. Innova and other products by natura pet are formulated to contain minimal ingredients that are commonly allergenic. Another possibility is that the cat is allergic to a specific protein source. Switching to a different "Flavor" sometimes helps.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

He does eat really fast. I was wondering if the last episode, after I gave him the Nutro, was because he ate too much of it. The other cats didn't really like it, so he probably ate theirs.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I will try them. I will definitely do the cat grass for starters. I think he would really like that because once I had a bouquet of flowers and he ate some (and threw up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
why don't you try this first: put something in the food bowl to make Taro slow down. Golf balls, ping pong balls, or large smooth clean rocks work.
I'm genuinely afraid he would eat those...

Is there any dry food that's safe to mix in with wet? I know that's verboten to do with the supermarket stuff because of the bacteria, but what about one of the premium brands, like Innova?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

I have to agree that you're right to be concerned that your cat is vomiing. Perhaps another vet is in order.
If he's eating really fast that could be the problem. A couple of things you can do (aside from what Tim said, which really would help) are, putting the food on a plate instead of a bowl and spreading it out and feeding several small meals throughout the day if possible.
As for dry food there are many options, as Tim said, Natural Balance makes dry Venison and Pea. My cats get Innova Evo dry occasionally and love it but it is rather pricey.

Victoria
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:44 PM

True, 2x a week is normal for some cats. That said, one had better *know* that is the norm for her/his particular cat. My Ginza horks on a regular basis, because he snarfs his food too fast, and hurls it back within 5 mins. He will also immediately hork back Nutro pouches and a couple other kinds. Warning, gross: I still poke around each redeposit to check that there's nothing odd going on.

In Taro's case though, it's good to keep an eye on him, since it just started several weeks ago? Especially that part about the blockage. Hopefully the Cat Lax takes care of that. As for the special food, hmmm. Better food, of course, but I'd also suggest smaller feedings, more frequently? Dunno if you've got the time for it?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Venison and Green Pea And Medi-Cal Diet

Well. . . speaking from experience my kitten was vomiting weekly or more and had chronic diarrhea. Turns out it was giardia.

At first I suspected a food allergy and I put him on the Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea. It worked for a while, but he started vomiting and got the diarrhea again. I currently have him on medication for his giardia, but just to be safe the vet suggested that I also place him on a hypoallergenic food. The bran I have is made by Medi-Cal here in Canada and I think it’s called Select-Care in the USA. I purchased a 4lbs bag and some cans. I paid about the same price as I do for the cans of Natural Balance and for the 5lbs dry bag of Felidae.

I have two cats and I have both cats on it right now, because other wise my kitten would just eat the other cat’s food.

I hope once his treatment is done that I can start him on “normal” food again, but the combination with the medication and food seems to have stopped the vomiting and diarrhea for now.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Premier Cat

I also have a cat that barfs if she eats too fast. I have found it helps to feed on a very regular schedule. I feed her at 6:30 am and 6:30 pm, and try to stay very close to these times. Otherwise she gets overhungry, gorges, and you know the rest.
If it is any consolation, she has gotten better about not stuffing herself over the years.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkitties
In Taro's case though, it's good to keep an eye on him, since it just started several weeks ago? Especially that part about the blockage. Hopefully the Cat Lax takes care of that. As for the special food, hmmm. Better food, of course, but I'd also suggest smaller feedings, more frequently? Dunno if you've got the time for it?
It started a few months ago, very rarely at first, then more frequently. Sometimes it was obvious that someone had eaten something they shouldn't have (flowers, a headband, etc.) With four cats, we didn't know who was doing it -- I was on the verge of color-coding their food with food coloring -- but then we caught Taro in the act. We also took in a second suspected cat just in case, but he was fine.

I can try feeding them smaller portions. It's tricky though because I'm not home for that many waking hours, and I want them to eat as much wet food as they need. I'm still trying to figure out how much that is, because the cans of cat food always say things like, "Feed your kitten one can a day for every pound of body weight!" or something similarly ridiculous.

I divide up one can among the four of them, three times a day, and they still don't eat it all. I leave dry food for them too, and they probably eat about 1/2 cup of that per cat. Does that seem like too much food? These are all averages. Taro eats more than his share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page