Promoting weight gain - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Promoting weight gain

Okay. I work at a nursing home, and we have two cats here. Twink is a pudge, and begs for treats. Molly isn't fat, doesn't beg, and tends to run around like a nut on a regular basis.

The managers have decided that Molly is too thin. I don't see it, but they're the managers, so I've been told to 'do something about it'.

As it is, they're free-fed dry food and get treats throughout the day, though not too many at once since that makes them throw up. Any time I offer treats, Twinkle runs to get as many as I'll give her, and Molly usualy comes to see but, more often than not, leaves her portion for her sister. If I approach her with food, she runs. (She's the kind of cat who will only interact on her terms. She's sweet, but only when she wants to be.) She does come for wet food, but that has also been known to make her barf.

I've considered giving her some kind of ooze-like suplement, like the hairball goo I give her. She won't lick that stuff up, but putting it on her tail for her to lick off seems to work.

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Kitten food would work, but I think promoting weight gain just so a cat would work as a more "cuddly" cat is disgraceful.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Angelshelper81, are the cats seen by a vet? If so, maybe you could get the vet to write a letter to the managers saying that Molly is fine the way she is. And that any extra weight that she puts on could endanger her health. Would they listen to that?

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

They do go to a vet yearly, but they're not due for another 6 months I think (I took over a few months ago for the woman who used to take care of them, and I know she took them not too long before she left.)

They aren't saying 'we want her cuddlier'. They actually seem to think she's too thin. They may even be right. She's certainly not emaciated or anything - she's actually gained weight in the last year since the puppy who used to chase her was removed - but I don't know enough about cats to be sure that she's not slightly below where she should be.

My thought is that, say, giving her some wet food (which we don't do now) might be okay, since she'd just eat less of the dry to compensate. But at the same time I don't want Twinkle getting any pudgier than she is.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Premier Cat

Hi angelshelper,
Just a few questions. How old are they? What are they being fed now? Can youy describe her weight now? Are there any bones(spine, ribs, hips) showing? Does she look healthy otherwise? Shiney fur, bright eyes, etc.?

Victoria
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi angelshelper,
Just a few questions. How old are they?

They'll both turn seven over the summer. (They're littermates.)

What are they being fed now?

Purina Chef's Blend of some sort, in a yellow bag. We have someone who donates it, sot would take considerable diplomacy or a pressing need to get this changed.

Can youy describe her weight now?

Not really. She just looks like a normal cat to me. When I first started working here, she was noticably skinny, but she doesn't look like that any more. Twinkle is notably pudgy, and Molly doesn't look like that either.

Are there any bones(spine, ribs, hips) showing?

Nope.

Does she look healthy otherwise? Shiney fur, bright eyes, etc.?

Her fur is a bit duller and more prone to dandruf than her sister's, but her eyes look fine. She sleeps a lot (as I understand it, that's pretty normal) and when she's not sleeping she's pretty athletic.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Premier Cat

Well, it sounds like she may be at her normal weight in which case it would be very hard to plump her up and not good for her. A healthy cat is naturally slender. I would certainly add wet food to the mix if you can. It won't, necessarily, put weight on her but it can be nothing but beneficial and may clear up the dandruff.
When they are due for their yearly exam I would do what my3kitties and, if the vet thinks their weights are good, have him/her put it in writing.
I was also wondering how often does she get the hair ball goo? If it's too oftem that can, potentially cause a lack of assimilation.
Also this site may be helpful in determining whether her weight is good.

http://www.webpak.net/~kittycat/diet/Bo ... ition.html

Hope that helps!

Victoria
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Hmm.

From the pictures she's between 'underweight' and 'ideal' - she has a bit more of an abdominal tuck than the 'ideal' cat and has skinnier legs and neck, but not as much as the 'underweight' pic. From the written descriptions she's 'ideal'.

I'll talk to Boss about having someone give her wet food after I take Twink out on rounds. (There is no way short of caging that I'd be able to get Twinkle out of the room with wet food around, so that'll have to be a two-person project. And Twink WILL hoover up wet food so fast she can't keep it down, so it's not worth giving to her.)

They get the hairball stuff as often as I remember to give it to them - it's supposed to be four times a week (as often as I'm there) but is ususaly more like once or twice a week. They haven't been getting it for very long, though. We started them on it about a month or so ago when we noticed them vomitting more than ususal, which cleared up when we started them on it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Premier Cat

That's good news. I'd go by the written description anyway.
Good luck with her.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page