Cat on Heat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Cat on Heat?

Can anyone give me some much needed advice. I have a four year old tabby torte cat called Fluffy. She was neutered at about 6months of age but has recently shown signs of being on heat. She has not eaten for the past two days, seems very lethargic but when stroked, raises her hindquarters in the classic "come and get it" pose. Is this normal? She seems OK in every other respect and even plays a little with her toys. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Cool Cat

Welcome to the forum,

2 days without food can be getting to the point of danger for your cats health, I have 3 that all kinda do the same when petted on the hind corners, they all been fixed by 1 1/2 years,

I hope you can find a Vet on Saturday to check her out for a proper diagnoisis as folks on the forum could only make guesses and you'll want to be sure if something worse is going on,

you could try some of the jell hair ball remover that comes in a tube, it's usually something they like, the dry stuff may not make a difference where the jell could possible lossen a hairball if that's the problem, but that's just one guess of many possibilities,

cats hid illness well and Fluffy may need medical help that's why after 2 days of no eating she may need a Vet to rehydrate her if she's not drinking also,

does she ever go outside?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Welcome to the forum,

2 days without food can be getting to the point of danger for your cats health, I have 3 that all kinda do the same when petted on the hind corners, they all been fixed by 1 1/2 years,

I hope you can find a Vet on Saturday to check her out for a proper diagnoisis as folks on the forum could only make guesses and you'll want to be sure if something worse is going on,

you could try some of the jell hair ball remover that comes in a tube, it's usually something they like, the dry stuff may not make a difference where the jell could possible lossen a hairball if that's the problem, but that's just one guess of many possibilities,

cats hid illness well and Fluffy may need medical help that's why after 2 days of no eating she may need a Vet to rehydrate her if she's not drinking also,

does she ever go outside?
Thanks for the reply. Yes Fluff does go out whenever she wants but seems to have no interest over the past couple of days. If she does go out, she comes in again soon after. We have tried to tempt her with all her favourite foods but no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with CD, it sounds like your kitty needs a trip to the vet asap. Lethargy and lack of appitite are classic signs that a cat is ill. Good luck and keep us posted!

Victoria
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Just got back from vets that we managed to find that would see fluufy as an emergency. She has an inflamed kidney, a sore throat and a temperature of 104. She has been given Synolox and Rimadyl injections and we must take her back to vets tomorrow. Vet thinks it could be bacteriological infection hence sore throat and enlarged kidney. Have to wait and see, if no change by tomorrow, Fluffy must stay in anmal hospital. Any suggestions?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Cool Cat

Great job!!!

So many people don't get to the Vets right away and then compound their problems, I'm glad for Fluffy that she is getting provided with the medical help she needs, great job!!!

2 of mine had dental problems that where spreading bacteria to their thoats and the Vet said their throats were red and sore, and that it could actually spread down the intestines,

so we get their teeth cleaned and they were given antibiotics to clear up the infections, now I plan to get their teeth cleaned every 2 yrs, I don't have much experience cleaning them myself but figure if they get a regular check-up that should help.

the oldest cat had 3 teeth removed because they had cavities, she was given a painkiller for 3 days afterward and now seems to be eating even the dry food fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the interest, she is still not eating but actually licked some chicken i boiled for her so there has ben a small improvement. Will take her to vet again tomorrow for temperature check and wait and see
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so glad you were able to get her into a vet. I hope thy can figure out what's wrong and she has a speedy recovery. In the meantime, have you tried baby food? Just plain meat, human baby food, like lamb, beef or turkey (not pork or ham). They will usually eat that when they won't touch anything else. It's a good short term way to get some food in her. Also, since her kidneys are inflamed perhaps getting more water in her diet would help. I would cut out dry for a while and even add some spring water to her food to help clean out her system.

Victoria
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Have been to vets again today, more antibiotics, vitamin jab and pain killer jab, now on a course of synulox. Have cooked frsh tune, sardins and chicken breast all her favourites, no luck. She is drinkink loads of water. Tried mushy foods also, seems as though she doesnt want to eat. When you call her for her food she seems interested, trys it and walks away. Sat up all of saturday night with her, she sat in the sink for two hours with the trap dripping and her licking it. Her temperature as gone down from 104 to 100.7 so perhaps she is improving, but still very mopey and doesnt want to go out. Took her out for a couple of minutes this evening on her lead just to give her a bit of frsh air, but sh just wanted to come back in. Will take her to vets in morning and just keep tempting her and give hr lots of cuddles and hope she will improve. will let you know. From lorraine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page