Diarrhea on Wellness? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Diarrhea on Wellness?

I changed from Science Diet one week ago to Wellness Super5 and today Sebastian had some diarrhea. He's 2 and a half years old and has had rock hard stools all his life. Could it be from the abrupt switch to the new diet? I'm assuming it is because it seems the logical conclusion but I have no fact or experience to back that up.

He seems fine otherwise. He's not vomiting, his appetite is very good and he is his normal active self running and playing and his tummy is not at all tender or distended. There are no other cats here and he's 100% indoor cat.

The only other things I could think of are I also got him some new treats but he only gets a few treats a day and they seem pretty straighforward as far as treats go (no different than all his other treats and he gets these almost every day since he was a baby). And the other thing is he does get a tiny piece of fresh well cooked chicken every day (I boil fresh white meat and keep it in the freezer and every few days I put a piece in the fridge - it's for the sugar gliders but he gets a little piece as a treat every day while I'm feeding them) - also something he has been getting every day for more than a year.

So I'm planning on giving him his Science Diet for breakfast tomorrow and then gradually reintroducing the Wellness when I'm certain his stools are solid. Again, just seems like the logical thing to do. If his stools don't get solid in a few days then it's off to the vet. Does this seem sensible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Actually, it just occured to me that there's one other thing that could have caused this. Yesterday I went to stay at a friend's place out of town overnight and it was today when I got back that I saw the diarrhea. Before I left I gave him two meals; I gave him his Saturday dinner (his wet food - Friskies Seared Fillets - beef and chicken) and his Sunday breakfast (Wellness Super5 dry) and he went right to it eating both (and it wasn't even dinner time yet). Maybe he ate too much for his little tummy yesterday?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:43 PM

I learned from my vet that anytime their tummy is upset like that you can settle it by giving them baby food for a couple of days. Meat only. Rocky got an upset stomach last year from changing to Wellness canned from science diet dry. We changed over too fast because she was so excited by the canned. Their stomachs can get upset easily. It could be from too much food too. I bought little jars of Gerber 2nd Foods . She loved the turkey and the lamb. LOVED ! You can give it to them for a few days and then start over gradually adding the new food. It worked well for Rocky and I've heard for others too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Rockysmom. Good to hear that it isn't too unusual to get this from a change in diet. I did the same thing when I was switching over - I planned to do it gradually but he loved it so much and he was so excited I just switched immediately.

The baby food thing is what I did for my gliders when they were joeys and they had diarrhea (turned out it was from too much yoghurt). I gave them pablum mixed with baby food and it cleared up the problem right away. Actually one of the first things I did today for Sebastian was giving him some pablum mixed with water - he actually liked it and ate almost a tablespoon of it. He hasn't had any diarrhea in the last few hours. I've got my fingers crossed.

I guess it's not the best time to give him his first taste of the new Wysong pure duck in a can that I bought him. Too bad, I was looking forward to giving him some of that. I figure I'll have to wait at least a few days for that.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlezoo

I guess it's not the best time to give him his first taste of the new Wysong pure duck in a can that I bought him. Too bad, I was looking forward to giving him some of that. I figure I'll have to wait at least a few days for that.
Probably not !! haha But it sure sounds tasty. That is good your cat hasn't gone in awhile. Hope he is back to normal very soon ! And able to enjoy his duck. yummy !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page