Cat Grass & Catnip - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cat Grass & Catnip

I bought some live cat grass from PetSmart, and my cats love it. My only question is, how much should I give them? Will they self-regulate? Because I get the impression that if I leave it where they can get at it, the entire plant will be gone in about 20 minutes!

Also, I see live catnip for sale all the time. Is it OK for cats to eat it in that form? Does it have the same effect as dried catnip? Will they eat the entire plant at one sitting?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Too much cat grass can cause a cat to vomit. In fact, a cat that WANTS to vomit -- e.g. to vomit up a hairball -- will seek to eat a bunch a grass. That being said, some cats will just eat cat grass as a diversion, and they will "self regulate." You just have to observe your cat and find out whether yours is that kind of a cat or not.

Yeah, the catnip is OK, too, and the same applies.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Oh, the cat I primarily bought it for isn't a self-regulator. Trust me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

I hear ya ... Rocket's that way, too. A first class hog when it comes to anything that goes in his mouth.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:41 PM

I have to cut the cat grass at work twice a week, I just take home some clippings from it so my cats do not get the whole bowl to destroy all at once! I always recommend to customers that they keep the bowl somewhere sunny and out of the cats reach so the grass will last. If you water it every 1-2 days and let it get at least a little sun it will last 3 weeks to a month with weekly cutting.

Other pets like my birds and hamsters love it too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 AM

I don't think too much cat grass is harmful. Regular grass is. Regular grass is somewhat serrated and can cause irritation in the stomach. Cat grass is smoother. I wouldn't worry about them eating too much.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hmmm, it looks like there's such a thing as too much cat grass for my cats. I've been giving them what I thought were reasonable amounts, a little each day. But yesterday one of them started gagging a little bit after eating it, as if he was about to be sick, although he ultimately wasn't. Today I only gave him a tiny bit, and he was ok. But then a second cat did the same thing, and a third one started generating the loudest stomach-gurgling noises I have ever heard. I think maybe they should lay off the cat grass for a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page