Cat Forum banner

Very sick cat- ideas please

980 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  annie92499 
#1 ·
I have 9 cats, indoor/outdoor. My one cat Sampson (who is about 1 y.o.) is really sick. He went outside for only the 4th or 5th time and when he came back he was running a 106.3 fever and couldn't walk. I ran him to the vet and they gave him a Amoxi shot and put him on amoxi tabs or 10 days. He has been tested negative for FIV/FelV and so have all my other cats. We don't have a lot of other cats around us either.

He got better, but if he went out in hot weather he would get sick. And he had an allergic reaction to his food. I switched him back to a homemade diet and he got healthy and normal again.

This last week the heat has been in the 100's and he got out one day and came home sick again. Running a slight fever on and off and acting bad. He is occasionally vomiting for no reason I can find. I called the vet and they gave me Baytril and said if he wasn't better in 10 days they want to test him again for FIV/FeLV. But no other ideas.

I have kept him inside and cool, if he gets in the heat he starts vomiting. He has a good apetite, but is going crazy over veggies, more then meat right now. Someone recommended this board as a good place for information. I'm really worried about him. None of my other cats are acting sick at all. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

See less See more
#5 ·
I would think that the vet would also want to check a CBC/Profile. The CBC would also check his RBC count and his WBC count. Also, different WBC's respond to different thigs, as well as indicate infection.

The profile would check all major organ function (liver, kidneys, etc.) and would be a good general look at the body.

Any bites or abscesses found on him? That would also be a common cause for a high grade fever.

Just a few thoughts. Keep us posted. :)

#6 ·
My vet isn't taking it too seriously. I am looking for another vet to take him to, I am just waiting to finish this round of antibiotics.

He has a very good appetite. And he does eat grass to puke, but his veggies he has always liked. Carrots and beets especially, he eats them like candy. If he is really sick and not holding down any food, I give him a carrot or beet and he will hold that down, and it helps him hold down his pills. Thank you for the advice I am really worried about him. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.