Name for "Siamese" kitten's spotted colour? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Name for "Siamese" kitten's spotted colour?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here and read the sticky about asking "what breed is my cat?" However, I have a bit of a different situation, as I'm currently waiting for the registration papers but I can't remember exactly what my kitten's breed would be called. It doesn't really matter as Maya is only "pet quality" but I am curious, and I can't ask the breeder right now because she's out of town.

I know that in the CFA, Maya would be an "Any Other Variety" Oriental Shorthair, but she's being registered in TICA as a Siamese. I also know that she is chocolate point and lynx point/tabby. However, right now she really only has a lot of colour on her tail and her ears. There are only some faint bits and pieces of colour on her face and along her spine, and only a couple of spots of colour on the bottom of her paws. Is there a specific name for this type of spotting/colouring? How much more should the colour darken, given that she is already 14 weeks old? A lot of people know what Siamese cats look like so they seem to think I'm lying when I say that she is a Siamese (because of her lack of strong points). Maybe I should just start calling her an Oriental Shorthair!?

I'll try posting a picture or two....Two of the pictures were taken when she was 6 weeks; the other was taken at 12 weeks with my other kitten (a definite Oriental Shorthair), Brady.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Cat

Whatever she is she is darling. What an adorable little cutie!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned

So cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 AM
Cat

Well, a chocolate point is always quite fair in coloration, it takes time before the points starts to show, and if the kitten is also lynx, it makes the color even lighter.

But I saw that her nose is not evenly colored, it looks like it has a lighter spot on half of it. Can she be a tortie? What colors are her parents?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yes her nose and her feet are definitely not evenly colored. I think I remember the breeder saying something about her being bicolor or something about white. Does that sound right? I know that the breeder tries to specialize in bicolor cats, so maybe that is it. Her parents are both Oriental Shorthairs. I have pictures of them somewhere but I can't find them right now. If I remember correctly, her mom was a brown/white bicolor. I did find the pictures of some of her siblings:

I love their big ears! As you can see, there was one more pointed kitten besides my Maya, but most of them will be registered as Oriental Shorthairs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Cat

Ok, well then it's most probably bicolor, as the breeder said. That can also explain why she is so light, she might have white spotting in har face, and that in combination with chocolate lynx gives a very light colored cat. It will take time before her markings show properly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Okay....so there is such a thing as a bicolor Siamese? I think that's what the breeder said but I can't remember for sure.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:17 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaranth
Okay....so there is such a thing as a bicolor Siamese? I think that's what the breeder said but I can't remember for sure.
'

I don't bicolor is approved in the Siamese but it is in the Oriental Shorthair and since Oriental Shorthairs can produce colorpoint offspring it sure is possible to produce colorpoint and white offspring.

Here's a tortie colorpoint with white spotting (a Devon Rex): http://www.rodanejlikans.com/Foto%20200 ... vianca.jpg
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Cat

In FIFe (Féderation International Féline) a siamese with white spot is called Seychellios. It's a recently recognized breed. I don't know if it is recognized in TICA or CFA, though...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much for all of your help and patience, everyone! I found this in the TICA standard for Siamese:

Particolor points will have various markings of color and white throughout the body...All awards are withheld if there are patches of white in the points, except in particolor points.

It will be interesting to see what she's registered as when her papers come. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page