CAT IN LABOR.....HELP!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

CAT IN LABOR.....HELP!!!!

The stray had her first kitten today under my parents bed (I'm dead....lol). Everything went well. I put her back in the crate with her baby and she is having contrapsions (sp?) I have her covered. My question is how long after the others are born? How can I know if the mother is producing milk? Should I put a heater in my brothers room facing her, its kind of chilly in there? Any help will be appreciated, I have my vets phone on hand just incase anything happends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Here's an article on kitten birthing...good luck

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth ... irth_3.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I think she is only going to have one kitten because she had the first one around 12 so its now 2 hours and still no signs of another. She has a good appetite and wants to get out of the crate. Is it normal for her not to pay attention to the kitten? Everything is going well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Having only one kitten is rather unusual. After four hours it's best to have the vet check her. If this is a first litter, and she's young, she might be having problems. If there's any doubt, it would be wise to take her to the vet.

Is she not nursing the kitten? If not, you will have to buy some kitten milk and a pet bottle and hand feed the kitten. However, if you can get the kitten to nurse, it will help to bring on contractions. Hold the kitten to the nipple, if necessary. Mother cat might need some help getting started. Also touch her abdomen very gently with your whole hand to check for movement or the shape of a kitten. (Do not push with your fingers or your hand; be very gentle.) I hope all is well. Please let us know.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Premier Cat

I noticed that in your other thread you said she had three dead kittens. Is this the same litter?

Jeanie

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

No those were when she first came to our house. She had them on our front porch and we did not notice because she was really skinny. She has one kitten now and I think that is all she is going to have. She is eating and drinking water. She is not leaving her kitten unattended. Are kittens born with their mouths closed? Dumb question but when I took her out to make sure she was ok she did not opend her mouth and did not stick her tounge out....

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Premier Cat

She should have cried (squeaked) when she was born. That would open her mouth, and she should try to nurse, instinctively. Have you tried to encourage her to open her mouth to nurse? Does she have muscle tone? Is she breathing normally? No wheezing? Make sure her throat is clear.

You'll want to have her spayed after this kitten is weaned. She's probably young and had the two litters too close together.

Jeanie

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

No a kittens mouth is not closed (like their eyes)....they wouldn't be able to eat....is it nursing? You may need to help it....

If you're keeping her...I hope you will be getting mama cat spayed...and baby too when the time comes...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Ok so I need to grab her and put her on a nipple very carefully right? I would love to keep them but I can't Kiddles did not like the kitten she growled at it. I will take her to the vet and let them find a home for the both of them. Thanks for all the help.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Here is the kitten:
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page