Introduction question still not answered... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Introduction question still not answered...

I have five total adult siamese. Three females, two males. One male is nuetered. The other is very bold and doesn't listen very well yet. My oldest female delivered six kittens three weeks ago. My second eldest female delivered five today. I did not anticipate this all at once, (hence my previous warnings to stagger their heats) either way I am running out of room. Kitties everywhere. Each mother and kittens has their own room, but the mothers roam the main house as they usually did. Each set of kittens are in their own sterile heated "box". The three week old kittens are ready to roam. I am afraid to let them loose in our room for fear of accidents, and I fear bringing them into the main house will spook mama to run with them in mouth back to our room or worse, kill them. Will the males or the other females hurt the babies? The nursing mothers wont stop trying to get into the others room and get into the other kitten's boxes. Why are they doing this? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Three week old Siamese are not ready to run through the house. You won't have to worry about that for a couple of weeks. A room is large enough. If each litter has its own room, leave it that way for now. Did you get a mentor to advise you?

The nursing mothers can get pregnant now! You're going to have to isolate the females from the males. I very much doubt that the females will hurt each others kittens. However, for the sake of your females, keep the male in a "play pen" or another room when either of the females is not with the kittens. I'm afraid this will be a continuing problem. It's much better if the Tom is in another household with knowledgable owners. You're going to have females in season before you know it, and neither should have kittens that soon.

I would find a good Siamese breeder to advise you before considering breeding the females again. Breeding should be very selective..for specific qualities, qualities that will improve or maintain a good standard. In the meantime, you will have to be very vigilant. Please keep the kittens and mother together for 12 weeks. They have much to learn about socialization before they leave her and the littermates. I wish you luck.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Jeanie. It's not safe to let the kittens roam the house yet.

I hope you will consider spaying the mothers as soon as possible, since it's beneficial for their health in the long term In the meantime, be sure to keep them separated from the tom!

Are you planning to keep the kittens, or have you found homes for them?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing to add because Jeanie gave you some great advice...

But I did want to ask....your comments sound like you're referring to previous posts (Introduction question still not answered..., hence my previous warnings to stagger their heats). Your post count is only showing as 1...either it didn't post properly or maybe it wasn't on this forum...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I have not posted to any forum, actually. I worded it wrong. I have searched through the internet and other breeders. It all came up with conflicting answers. When I stumbled across your forum, the knowledge and expertise amazed me. Hence my first post. Last year, I started out with only a female and a male. I became sick resulting in five consecutive surgeries. This led me to having my neighbor watch over my cats. They lost the male and let the female get out with strays. Once I was well and realized what had happened, I ended up with a new mom and five mixed kittens and a male neutered and declawed by another neighbor. Terrible situation. After bringing them back home and to vet again, we rescued two other females from a worn out breeder, and obtained another male for replacement. I had been advised to stagger their heats so this would not happen, but as you can see I did not learn why til my mistake had been made. These litters are new from this year. The Tom is seperated from the females, unless under constant supervision. The females each have a baby box and their own room that the other cats are not allowed into. I will keep them to their own rooms til adoption day as you advised.
I am planning on keeping them together for twelve weeks, worming, shots, etc. before adoption to only the best of homes. I am not planning to keep them. We have more than enough kitties. We have been considering adopting out a few of the adults also, considering they were initially rescues. The three week olds are clawing to get out of the box, is it safe to turn it on it's side and let them roam just the room?? Also, the younger new mom is very hesitant to stay in her room as my older is so dutiful about. I have to keep putting her back in and in the box to nurse. The kittens wail and all she is worried about is getting petted and out of the room. Is this normal for some cats?? Is there anything I can do to help her become more responsible as the other mother is?? Each mother is trying desperately to get into eachothers rooms still. Why is this, and should I ultimately let them share a room?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Premier Cat

Sometimes barn cats take care of each other's kittens, and that could be the case here. However, you would be taking a chance. As for the mothers leaving the rooms, that's only natural. Normally (when there's not a Tom around) they go in and out of the kittens' room after staying with them constantly for a few days. They would cry to go back in if they heard a a kitten call, or if they were too full of milk. At night, they would probably lie with them most of the time. So it's unfortunate that they can't have more freedom. They need love and attention.

I would put the Tom in a large dog cage and let the mother cats have exercise. Of course, the doors to the kittens' rooms should be kept shut. To make sure the babies are safe, I would not let the mothers visit each other's litter. It could be safe, but don't take the chance.

The Tom needs exercise too, so it would be great if the two mother cats had their exercise together (away from the kittens), with the Tom confined to a cat playpen or dog cage. And then the mother cats could return to their rooms. You would do this several times a day, at least. I know this is a lot of trouble, but it's the kind thing to do.

I would let the kittens out with supervision only. They will be climbing out on their own soon. Between 4 and 5 weeks they will be able to eat soft kitten food, if you help them. Soon after, Mother will not be able to keep up with the clean up, and she and you can teach the little ones to scratch in the litter box. They'll soon get the idea.

I'm very sorry you have been ill. This is obviously not a good time to have this kind of work. But, they're here now!

You should always charge for kittens, whether or not they have papers. Do you have their pedigrees? Are they registered, and from good stock? All of those things are important when selling the kittens. However, more important is that you screen the buyers carefully. They should not allow their kittens outdoors without leashes or an enclosure, they should be willing to read and learn if these are their first pets, the home should be permanent and loving, and children should be very gentle with kittens. Their little legs could easily be broken by a wrong step. Find out everything you can about the people who will purchase the kittens. You might want to draw up a contract, stipulating these things, and that if they can't keep the kitten you get the kitten back. That will give you some peace of mind. Of course, these are my opinions; there are many people who allow their cats out. I don't consider it safe.

Here is a link that should be helpful, and we will continue to help, if needed. I hope you are feeling well now, and that all works out well for the kittens, mother cats, and the male.

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/a/k ... styear.htm

Jeanie

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

The breeder I got Holly from had multiple litters at one time. When the kittens were a little older and wanted to be running around, she handled it by having large kitty condos/cages that she kept the kittens in when they could not be supervised. This would allow the mothers to be free to roam but also keep an eye on their kittens and the mothers would go into the condos to nurse and care for the kittens. There was a litterbox in the condo and beds for the kittens. My first visit the kittens were 6 weeks old...Holly's litter was running around and playing when I got there, when they pooped out...they went (completely on their own) back into their condo to sleep...it was their safe spot.

This is the type of condo I'm talking about (the kind a lot of shelter use):

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Premier Cat

That would be great for the kittens! Of course, when the mothers are out, the Tomcat would have to have a cage also.

Jeanie

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yes....or if the cages were moved into the main part of the house when the get older, the male could be put in a bedroom.

Holly's breeder kept the kittens in the bedroom until they were 6 weeks and received their first shots. Then she brought the condo downstairs into the dining room...this way the kittens could be out more and could be socialized by the family members and also other people coming into the house. And the females could be more easily integrated back into everyday routine.

Any possibility of getting the male neutered in the next week or so? Then you wouldn't have to worry about separating everyone, although I believe you do need to allow a few weeks to ensure the male is completely sterile.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Premier Cat

That's good advice!

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page