Turkish Angora - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat
 
Arkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 170
Turkish Angora

I went to a cat show on a whim today... and of course saw many many gorgeous cats!

But the ones that really stood out to me were the Turkish Angoras. They look so sleek and graceful, and have longish fur and super fluffy tails without looking bulky or overly fluffy overall.

I found their fur to be so soft and shiny! I can't get over how beautiful these cats were. I don't see any posts about this breed on this forum... I wonder why they aren't more popular?

If you currently "owned" or have ever had a Turkish Angora, please share your experiences

Here are some photos I took.

A classic white one:


(sorry, blurry shot)

Gorgeous smokey color:

Arkona is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Cat Addict
 
howsefrau32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,831
Oh my....they are GORGEOUS!!!! And they look soft as silk! I would love to know what they are feeding those kitties to have such gorgeous coats. I'm betting they are on a raw diet.....I am too chicken to do the raw diet, but my cats are on a good wet food diet. They are so pretty!!!
howsefrau32 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat
 
Arkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 170
I don't know much about breeders, but I would think that feeding raw may be too expensive or too much of a hassle for them considering how much they have to shell out for their cats, vet bills, etc... it seems like a very difficult and time-consuming hobby, so I would think they would take the easier, more normal route with the food. Unless they are breeding wild hybrids. But these are just my assumptions.

My cat is on a raw diet and her diet has definitely contributed positively to many things... she smells good, her stool is very solid and does not stink at all, and her fur is soft and shiny. She looks healthy and strong and has a lot of energy.

But I think in the case of these purebreds, the softness and shininess of their fur probably has a lot to do with genetics. I would think that breeders try to select for these characteristics when breeding. Also they are super clean... they probably get bathed and brushed a ton for these shows!

Last edited by marie73; 07-25-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Arkona is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Cool Cat
 
maggie23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,273
i'm no breeder, but i'm PRETTY sure our Angel is a Turkish Angora - although she does not have the long face i've seen on some others. not sure if that is a Turkish Angora trait or not.

doesn't matter, though. i would love my angel no matter what breed she was. i love 'em all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel in her Fort.jpg
Views:	4524
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	21801  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel outside.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	21809  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Angelfrontdoor.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	21817  

maggie23 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Senior Cat
 
Jakiepoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 668
I think they're a pretty uncommon breed, especially around here, which makes them harder to find, and of course, more expensive! They are absolutely gorgeous though, I love that smokey kitty, amazing!

Angel is absolutely gorgeous, love long haired kitties though I've never had one, definitely not an Angora though!
Jakiepoo is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 712
WOW...gorgeous. I agree...some may have pedigrees but I love them all!
wallycat is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 AM
Tom Cat
 
spotty cats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkona View Post
I don't know much about breeders, but I would think that feeding raw may be too expensive or too much of a hassle for them considering how much they have to shell out for their cats, vet bills, etc... it seems like a very difficult and time-consuming hobby, so I would think they would take the easier, more normal route with the food. Unless they are breeding wild hybrids. But these are just my assumptions.
I, and the majority of breeders I know feed raw. It's actually cheaper than feeding wet and is the best diet to keep our cats in too condition. Hormonal cats can be harder to keep in condition, raw does a great job for that.
You'd never know when my girls have nursed a litter of 7 for 4 months, because they don't lose condition at all.

Nothing is too much hassle to keep our cats happy and healthy.
spotty cats is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Cat Addict
 
howsefrau32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie23 View Post
i'm no breeder, but i'm PRETTY sure our Angel is a Turkish Angora - although she does not have the long face i've seen on some others. not sure if that is a Turkish Angora trait or not.

doesn't matter, though. i would love my angel no matter what breed she was. i love 'em all!
She is so pretty, she definitely looks like she is something different. So pretty.
howsefrau32 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Cat
 
Arkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotty cats View Post
I, and the majority of breeders I know feed raw. It's actually cheaper than feeding wet and is the best diet to keep our cats in too condition. Hormonal cats can be harder to keep in condition, raw does a great job for that.
You'd never know when my girls have nursed a litter of 7 for 4 months, because they don't lose condition at all.

Nothing is too much hassle to keep our cats happy and healthy.
Nice! That's good to know, I am pleasantly surprised! The breeders you know who feed raw, what do they breed?
Arkona is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Tom Cat
 
spotty cats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkona View Post
Nice! That's good to know, I am pleasantly surprised! The breeders you know who feed raw, what do they breed?
Ragdolls, Birmans, Norwegians, Persians, Exotics, Siamese, Orientals, Burmese, Bengals, British Shorthair, Abyssians, Somali, Ocicats, Cornish Rex, Devon Rex, Selkirks..... the list goes on.
spotty cats is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome