Very Unusual Kitten Pattern - Red Panda? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Very Unusual Kitten Pattern - Red Panda?

I work with an animal shelter, and this 12 week old kitten came into our possession yesterday.

It was sent off to a foster home that evening and the photo was provided by the foster parent. I examined the kitten myself while it was at the shelter, and the color pattern seen in person is true to to what is seen in the photo. The kitten was collected at a feral cat colony, but is not feral itself. Although this places its parental origin in question, a particular calico seemed a likely parental candidate.

Can anyone chime in with some insight into this color pattern? I've never seen anything like it, but I'm tempted to call it a red/cinnamon(?) ticked/shaded(?) silver mackerel tabby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panda Kitten.jpg
Views:	21315
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	24266  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Cat Addict

Man, there have been some unusually colored cats the last few days in the forum.

I preface my guess by saying I have no training or cfa/tica activity. I just like to read about colorations and patterns.

I'd call her DLH cinnamon torbie with white or DLH cinnamon calico/tabby "caliby". Whether there should be a shell/smoke/shade in there, I'm not even going to try to guess.

Super cute though. She'll get adopted in no time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Jr. Cat

Very beautiful! I believe that the cinnamon color is a recessive gene usually. Chances are its parents didnt even show signs of this color.

This article is a good understanding of how genes affect the colors of a cat.
http://www.examiner.com/article/cat-...e-basic-colors

In the fifth paragraph you will see that a cats third gene accounts for any orange or red.

The author has a number of articles on the subject, this one discusses that a cinnamon-like color is actually part of the black family of colors and is derived from those genes.
http://www.examiner.com/article/cat-...enetics-part-1

It's pretty interesting. I hope you'll post pictures of it when it's older if possible, but I'm sure this cutie is going to be adopted ASAP!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, she will get adopted in no time - as a matter of fact I will break my vow of only adopting adults and seniors so you can bring her right over!! I'll be waiting by the front door!!! SUPER CUTE!! Love those eyes.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Tom Cat

I've heard of black fur getting reddish in the Sun--could this be a brown tabby mackerel whose black fur has turned reddish in the Sun? It is a really cool look
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Cool Cat

Omg so cute! Amazing red color.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Premier Cat

Gosh list this cat as a cinnamon calico/tabby as Jeff described it! Anything to capture lookers interest. What a cutie. So unusual!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

We already have multiple applications on the cutie, so I'm quite certain she'll have an excellent home after we finish clearing her medically.

I checked out the articles on the Examiner regarding color coat genetics, but neither really addresses the complexity of the coloration shown by this kitten (I've almost completed my Master's degree in biology, so simple genetics are well within my purview if anyone has any more in depth information in this regard).

Regarding the torbie classification, while it seems possible that this is a rare tortoiseshell variant, it didn't seem to fit since the color appears as a consistent solid shell where it is present.

Although I was hesitant to mention this since I didn't check an individual hair shaft up close, when her coat is parted to her skin, the color of each hair shaft appears to be divided into thirds. It appears to shift from a light silver close to her body, to a dark smoke grey to the lovely cinnamon color seen on the outside. My understanding is that individual hair shafts do not usually contain more than two colors, though. :/
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Jr. Cat

She's gorgeous!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Tom Cat

Wow that coat pattern is amazing! The different types of coats on cats never ends in amazing me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page