I would appreciate your opinion - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I would appreciate your opinion

I have three rescued babies. two are about 5 years old and one is apparently under 1 year old. I am told the one is a main coon, the other a Siamese and the last one a Bengal. I would love your opinion

Apple:

Tickey:

Whiskey:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Senior Cat

If they're all rescued cats, it's very hard to tell, and it's unlikely any of them are actually a purebred cat, or have any of that breed in them at all. The percentage of purebred cats is extremely low compared to the number of moggies.

Shelters tend to label cats as purebreds, or mixes without actually knowing due to the fact that it grabs the attention of more people, and it can make cats much more easy to adopt out. To many shelters, most pointed cats are siamese (though this isn't the case) and cats with long hair are main coons (also not the case).

I have no experience with pure bred cats, but I can tell you from looking that I definitely don't think Whisky is a Bengal, nor Tickey a Main Coon, both gorgeous though! It is possible Apple might have some traditional siamese heritage, but it is even more possible that there is none and she's just a very pretty seal pointed kitty (I'm pretty sure it's seal pointed)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Jakiepoo, most likely these are not purebred cats at all. As a matter of fact Ticky and Whiskey look very ordinary to me (except they are quite cute, of course!). Apple may be Siamese. Shelters do like to use breeds when they advertise, because it does make a pet appear "special" in some way.

If you are overly interested, I would look up the CFA characteristics of each breed and see if your cats overwhelmingly resemble the traits of each breed. I know for instance Siamese cats are very vocal as a rule, but then so are a number of other breeds.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Cat Addict

Since they're from the shelter, none are likely to be purebred cats, or for the latter two, they aren't even likely to have a purebred cat anywhere in their past.

Apple seems like she may have Siamese in her genetic history, however it could be a long way back. There are also other cat breeds that have pointed markings... since you don't have papers for her, the appropriate title would a a seal (coloring) point (pattern) short hair (instead of long) domestic (meaning no discernible breed is present).

Ticky is a gray (blue) with white long haired domestic. Maine Coon tends to be listed as every larger or long haired cat, and this could not be farther from the truth. Every cat has the ability to be long haired (although it's a recessive gene), including multiple other cat breeds.

Whiskey looks to a a brown mackerel short haired domestic. A very common color that is not in any way related to the Bengal... as the others mentioned shelters tend to list cats as a breed, and they aren't. It is easier to generate interest in them...

They're all gorgeous, though! And I'm sure you love them, that's what matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 08-21-2013 at 02:20 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Premier Cat

When posting on Petfinder they ask for a breed when putting in the listing. Nothing wrong with that. You can put its a mix of a certain breed. Helps narrow down the seach. People like a certain look. Nothing wrong with that either.

Bengals can look like yours without the spots. I saw one from a breeder that looked like yours. They have an athletic temperment.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you so much for your opinion. None of them were from shelters though. Tickey, who was given to us first came from a lady who said that she was given some main coon kittens and were giving them away on craigslist. As he got older I asked a vet when I took him for his shots and he said he could very well be part maine coon and one thing to look out for is the short fur over the shoulders and the longer maine. That is all I know about tickey so since then I have labelled him a coonie. Apple was given to us by a friend who rescued him from her neighbor. Apparently the neighbor complained that he was marking his territory indoors. I did not think to ask for papers or anything but I did ask her the other day but her neighbor has moved so yep, I have no idea about Apple. either! Whiskey we have only had for about two weeks and my daughter rescued him in her apartment. The owners had been evicted and whiskey was left behind, crying for days outside the door. The lady told my daughter before she left that he is an older line bengal...and of course I have no idea what that means, although somebody told me today that they were the very first/original bengal!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Premier Cat

Maine Coon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "longer maine" is more a reference to the length of the coat along a particular part of the body. The Maine in Maine Coon is a reference to their supposed state of origin. I don't think the vet was quite accurate. Again, they are all really pretty cats so their particular breed really does not matter much. I found this article quite interesting......

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Senior Cat

Yeah, sounds like the women was given a litter of kittens with long fur and then was giving them away, labelling them as maine coons in the hopes that they would go faster (so long as she wasn't a byb trying to charge a couple hundred dollars for the kittens, I don't see anything overly wrong with that). I mean, I wouldn't call that the most defining coon characteristic, I'd go with the unusual size, feather duster tails, tufted ears, and I believe tufted toes as well.

And as far as older line bengal goes, never heard of that term before, seems a little strange to me. If I were to think of very first/original bengal I'd think of F1's, F2's and early generation Bengals with very recent ALC history, not like most bengals you see today.

I really don't think they have any purebred in them (with the exception of Apple where there is the possibility just from her head and body shape). That is one area where cats and dogs really differ, while most mixed dogs are the mixture of various, usually mostly discernible pure breds, it is the exact opposite for cats, most purebreds are the result of mixing mixed cats with similar traits, meaning all of those traits in purebreds can be found in the regular population, so most cats have nothing in them, but we love them all the same.

Either way, you probably will never know for 100% sure, but you can be certain that you have three very gorgeous kitties.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Cat

They are all beautiful, especially like the 2nd one of Tickey - looks like he could just talk to you!!! ha ha

Debbie
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

They all have different characters..Tickey is playful and never confrontational. He is as fast as a bullet and will come and lie at the foot of the bed or wherever I am. Apple is my little girls cat. He will jump in our arms if we ask him but more nervous then the other two and Whiskey is the friendliest. He will come up to us and rub himself around us but does not like being picked up. Does anybody have an idea as to how old Whiskey might look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page