Ashera Cat, new breed or greed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ashera Cat, new breed or greed?

I was looking thru videos of Savannah cats, servals, now the Ashera cat. The "Breeder" says she sells 50 a year at $20,000 plus a cat!

I would be interested in the perspectives of whether this should be done or leave well enough alone!

$22,000 Cat - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Cat Addict

That is ridiculous! Beautiful cat though
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Tom Cat

Ugh. How many rescues could be saved with that money?? Rather, some snooty woman will be bragging to her neighbors about her designer cat. More money than sense, I tell ya.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Cool Cat

I have very serious ethical qualms about this. Wild animals don't make good pets - not just because of their potential behavior but because they themselves wouldn't be happy in a domestic environment. A pet that is a hybrid of a wild and domestic animal may inherit the same wild instincts, and may never be fully happy in a home. I don't think we should be intentionally breeding animals that aren't adapted to the environment we expect to keep them in.

I do think these cats are beautiful, but creating them still seems cruel.

I also think there are serious issues with the amount of money changing hands, especially in light of the crisis of homeless pets in North America, but even if the breeders were giving them away I still think that purpose-breeding an animal that could never survive in the wild but also may never feel comfortable in a home is still problematic.

I think that with the hybrid cats, there's a major extra layer of ethical concern besides just the usual discussion about breeding/selling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Cat Addict

It's pretty and all, but I have such an issue with breeding. In the US, between 3 and 4 MILLION dogs and cats are euthanized each year. My local shelter has a 60% kill rate (and another 10% die of disease/stress). So 30% of all animals make it out alive. It's heartbreaking to become friends with one at the shelter, and see them on the euth list. So, I can't believe someone would pay $22,000 to have an animal "created" for them when you can adopt one for less than $100. I think breeding should be taxed out the wazoo and have the taxes subsidize no kill shelters.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyatl View Post
...when you can adopt one for less than $100.
Recently I was showing pictures of my cats to my coworkers, and one of them asked what breed Bentley is, where I bought him, and how much I paid for him, because he's so exotic looking.

Yeeeeah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Cat Addict

My local shelter is having a "tail end of summer" promotion where all cats are $10 and dogs are $20! That includes spay/neuter and all vaccinations!! So someone could save 2,000 cats or 1,000 dogs with that money. I mean really.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Cool Cat

Wild animals are not pets and crossing two types of animals does not make it a new breed. "Puggles" and "labradoodles" and other such silly crosses are not breeds (adorable though they may be...I prefer mutts to purebreds any day). Could they become breeds eventually? Maybe. But the basic idea behind a "breed" is that when you mate two members of the same breed, you will know what to expect with the babies. Taking two things and crossing them does not allow one to reliably predict what the babies will look like, or what behavior traits they will have. (You can't cross a non-shedding poodle with a shedding lab and say with certainty that the puppies will inherit the non-shedding genes.) There are no breed standards to weigh it against to ensure that you are producing quality offspring. And if you're not breeding to improve/preserve the quality of the breed, then you're a backyard breeder, IMO.

I'd never heard of Asheras, so I did a quick google search and what I found reeks of marketing and a bad breeder. First of all...a good breeder does not make money on their animals. They'll barely break even after all the health testing and other "responsible" expenses. It shouldn't be about money...it should be about loving a particular type of animal so much that you want to help it achieve perfection. Secondly, you should not have to "market" your animals the way these are being marketed. Trying to make someone want something because it is "the most expensive" or "the biggest" or "the newest" reduces it to a "thing" to be coveted, rather than a living creature. No responsible breeder would ever treat their animals that way.

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Jr. Cat

Heh. Turns out all the known and examined "Ashera" cats were F1 Savannahs, bought from other breeders at 1/10 the price they were being resold for.

Which is really another problem when it comes to designer pets - people are so interested in being somehow special, even if it's only by having a designer pet, they make easy marks for the unscrupulous, whether from this end of the scale down to the "no it's perfectly healthy, and totally purebred" backyard breeders and mills. And those kinds of suckers are the ones who just will NOT listen or be educated, no matter how gently you try to approach them.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
Recently I was showing pictures of my cats to my coworkers, and one of them asked what breed Bentley is, where I bought him, and how much I paid for him, because he's so exotic looking.

Yeeeeah.
It's funny the way people act when they think a certain animal is "special" and "expensive" probably wouldn't have taken a second look at the gorgeous boy had he seen him in the shelter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page