Interesting article on Scottish folds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Interesting article on Scottish folds

I was on tumblr, and I came across this article linking a certain bone deformity with the same gene that causes their ears to fold. I'm a little concerned because I know a lot of genetic mutations like this in different animals, lets say, rats for example. There's a "gene" that makes them "manx". But that "gene" is actually a spinal deformity that is very painful for them and how it's effected their temperament (not to mention that being tailless for rats its pretty bad, because its harder for them to maintain balance and regulate their temperature).

Anyways, if the gene that makes the scottish folds ears folded, causes them crippling bone pain, and cat's tendency to hide sickness or pain, is it ethical to breed them? Do you think the link actually exists?

I know that tumblr isn't necessarily the best source for information, but it's got citation that seems pretty legitimate.

(NOTE: I'm not condemning anyone for owning or breeding these types of cats, but I'm relatively new to the cat community and these kinds of things pique my interest as far as morale goes)

“Life,” said Yrael, who was more Mogget than it ever knew.
“Fish and fowl, warm sun and shady trees, the field mice in the wheat,
under the cool light of the moon.”~ Abhorsen, by Garth Nix

Last edited by marie73; 02-08-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Cat Addict

Here's a thread from not too long ago. A couple of the posters are respected breeders. The information in your article essentially supports what they were saying.

https://www.catforum.com/forum/39-bre...lded-ears.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh cool! I tried to search it through here, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks so much! It's good to know that most people are unsupportive. Appreciate a bunch!

“Life,” said Yrael, who was more Mogget than it ever knew.
“Fish and fowl, warm sun and shady trees, the field mice in the wheat,
under the cool light of the moon.”~ Abhorsen, by Garth Nix

Last edited by marie73; 10-05-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: rq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page