what is considered a tuxedo cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Cat

what is considered a tuxedo cat

Ok so this might be a dumb question but what is considered to be a tuxedo cat I know mine are Dsh but does the tuxedo thing come into play because of the coloring or is a tuxedo cat a whole another breed in itself?

Just curious... Thank you in Advanced
I included a picture of my cats just to show you all what I have

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1381126799970.jpg
Views:	1648
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	31458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1381126930170.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	31466  

Marlena
Zorro & Patches DSH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Jr. Cat

From my understanding tuxedo is the coloring. There are some who call all black and white cats 'tuxedo' (like my aunt and cousin), and some who believe it is only those who are mostly black with a white mustache, white bib going down the chest/stomach, and white-tipped paws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I Thank you very much

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Marlena
Zorro & Patches DSH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Jr. Cat

You're welcome! Two very beautiful babies, btw. I read an article a while back about tuxedos that I will paste the like to tomorrow (I am on my phone e and can't now) that was very interesting. I have no idea how factual it is as it only cites one source and those tend to be a bit one sided IMHO, but interesting, nonetheless!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

I believe they're only considered a true Tuxedo if they have a proper British accent and take their catini's shaken, not stirred.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Cat Addict

Tuxedo is a name for a black and white cat, it has nothing to do with breed. It's just a word that denotes that the cat has a particular set of markings. It's just a descriptive word, but it's been used so often that if a person has a cat with those set of markings it's commonplace to use that instead of "black and white", it is a better descriptor than going into details like "black and white with white feet and a white bib on their chest".

Bicolor cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 10-07-2013 at 03:17 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 AM
Premier Cat

I think a purist would say it has to do with the markings, not so much the color. A true tuxedo would have the "bib" like wearing a tuxedo and white paws.

Attachment 31474

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 01-04-2014 at 08:22 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Cat

So many cute kitty's ... Thank you all for your help in explaining to me ...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Cat Addict

ok, this is what I got off Wikipedia:

A tuxedo cat is a bicolor cat with a white and black coat. They are called, "tuxedo" cats because the animal appears to be wearing the type of black tie formal wear commonly known in the United States and Canada as a tuxedo. The tuxedo pattern is not limited to the color black, but the name is typically reserved for black and white cats. Most tuxedo cats are also black mask cats, a common name for felines who, due to their facial coloration, look as if they are wearing a black mask over their eyes, and often over their entire head. To be considered a true tuxedo cat, the feline's coloring should consist of a solid black coat, with white fur limited to the paws, belly, chest, throat, and often the chin, although many tuxedo cats appear to sport goatees, due to the black coloration of their mandible—that is, the lower jaw and chin. Bicolor may also appear in the skin color. Paw pads may be black or pink, often matching the coat in that area; if the color boundary crosses the underside of the paw, the pads on either side may be different colors or even bicolored. Bicoloring of the nose and mouth are also common.

Also...

In popular culture

In the United Kingdom, the tuxedo cat is sometimes known as the "Jellicle cat", after the fictional tribe of black and white cats described by T. S. Eliot in Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, which was first published in 1939.
In its derivative musical, Cats, the tuxedo cat is exemplified by the character of the magical Mr. Mistoffelees, who is portrayed as a stage magician wearing a lacy ruff and bow tie. The musical differed from the book in that the characters included cats with many different coat colors, rather than just bicolor cats, but it retains the repeated assertion that "Jellicle cats are black and white."
Cats with these markings also played a starring role in the drawings illustrating The Unadulterated Cat, a book written by Terry Pratchett, with cartoons by Gray Jolliffe.

Other well known cartoon bicolor cats include Krazy Kat, Felix the Cat, Tom Cat from Tom and Jerry, Jess from Postman Pat, Kitty Softpaws from the Shrek spin-off Puss in Boots, Figaro, Beans and Sylvester. A bicolor cat named Mittens is one of the main characters in the 2008 Disney animated film Bolt.
Aldwyn from The Familiars is a tuxedo cat, while Meowrice (voiced by Paul Frees) from Gay Purr-ee is a bicolor.

A tuxedo cat is one of the three types of cats in the video game Minecraft.

marie! Belle says, "Cheers, mate!" now she'll have to go in the govt protection program since you've blown her cover LOL!!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Cat Addict

Marie - you should be a comedian!

I've always thought a tuxedo was predominantly black with a white underbelly (like a man wearing a tux). So I wouldn't call your kitties tuxedo, but that's just me. We had some foster kittens at one of the rescue groups I work with who looked very similar and we called them cow kitties because they had similar markings to cows (they were all named Jersey, Guernsey, Kerry, etc.). They're adorable either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page