Adopting a retired breeder - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Adopting a retired breeder

I was wondering if you guys would share your opinions/experiences with adopting a retired breeder cat?

My friend wants to adopt a cat and as I'm generally regarded as the crazy cat lady in the making they all ask me.

Personally I think there are so many shelter cats looking for a home that I'm not so keen on breeders in general but I do get the appeal of those beautiful cats. So my friend doesn't want a kitten and a cattery near him has several adult cats ready to retire and he's looking into that. Are there any concerns?
One thing I could think of is possibly a higher risk of mammary tumours due to late spaying/neutering but then there are many cats who weren't spayed/neutered as a kitten. These cats are between 2 and 3 years old, so they weren't breeding machines for years and years. I suggested to go take a look at the cattery, anything else you can think of?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Cat Addict

Off the top of my head here's a few things to do or look into:

What's the adoption fee? Its common for it to cover the cost of the spay or neuter and that's about it.

Ask to see the vet records and ask to speak to their vet. Ask the vet about their honest impressions, if they have noIidea who you're talking about its likely a problem. Anyone who is breeding properly should be consulting their vet on a very regular basis and they would be memorable.

Other than that...*shrugs*. I have no problem with responsible breeders who show and do full health checks as well as contributing to rescue and havinh mandatory s/n contracts on the vast majority of their kittens. But my standards are very high and I would never give any money or support to a breeder who didn't make it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Cat Addict

So... I'm wondering why you're pointing them to a cattery? I mean, you can find lots of cats from a shelter that are adults and in need of homes.

I don't go to shelters often, but I've seen rosette Bengals and champagne Burmese there, and I'll never forget the pair I saw when I was about 5 (yes I remembered them from that young because they were incredible looking), they were classic tabby, one orange and one gray... to this day they are two of the most striking cats I ever remember seeing, the makings were so distinct.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 10-18-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Oh sorry if I wasn't clear Carmel. I wanted him to go to the shelter but he found these cats about to be retired and asked my opinion. And because I have no experience whatsoever with catteries I wanted to ask here.

Librarychick, thanks! The vet is great point!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, I see! Well, if he wants a retired breeder that is a nice way to go in getting a purebred, but I would do a lot of research on the cattery, including visiting it, before committing to anything. There are a lot of things to watch for when getting a retired cat, it's looking good that they were only bred for a few years, but that's only scratching the surface.

Along with the dogs
and
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

If you have time to elaborate Carmel, I'd love to read what kind of things he should watch out for.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Premier Cat

I understand the appeal of wanting specific breeds of cats. Ideally, one would find said breed from a shelter or Petfinder.com, but if not, this is the next best thing, I guess. I would take the advice of the other posters here and thoroughly check out the breeder - vet references would be ideal.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Cat Addict

Off the top of my head: Make sure the breeder has very few cats (the more cats, the less the breeding cats likely get attention, and the more likely they're running something closer to a BYB), make sure they do not breed multiple litters at once (less socialization for kittens and if something goes wrong and they must syringe feed kittens this is beyond poor planning and points to just being in it to pump out kittens), how many litters the cat has had and what type of offspring they produced, all cats - not just the one they're going to look at - should be friendly (they should not breed unfriendly cats; they don't have to be your best friend but they should not be hiding or extremely standoffish either), many of the cats should have titles from showing (if they don't have "time" for showing they should likely not be breeding cats), all should come with papers, the breeder should likely have the cats spayed/neutered before leaving the cattery (no decent cattery is just going to send off a breeding cat if they care anything about it), the retired cat should be a fair bit cheaper than a kitten, they should have had all genetic testing done for known conditions, and possibly more than once if they are testing for something that may develop down the line like cardiomyopathy, the breeder should give you a full tour of the cattery including where the cats go when they have kittens (cages... not good), make sure they know about the breed (like genetics and colors and temperament) and breed for the betterment of it, not just because the cats are the in thing or that kittens are really cute. They should show a real knowledge and passion and not just want to hand the cat to you because you're the first one that came knocking.

Along with the dogs
and
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

This is perfect! Thank you so much!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ack I wasn't done and the app won't let me edit.
I was going to say that it always says to research the cattery if you're considering a specific breed, but unless you know what you're looking for, you can't really research it. This is perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page