What coloration is my kitten considered? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

What coloration is my kitten considered?

Hello everyone! I wasn't sure where to post this, so I went ahead and just decided to post here anyway. My question is not regarding what my kitten looks like but whether my kitten is considered a Tortie or Calico (coloration)?? Also would you say she is a short or long hair kitten?? To add a little bio...I named her Ruby and she is about 11 weeks old. Any feedback is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Here are the images.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:21 AM
Tom Cat

I can't help with the colour question -not very good at that but have to say Ruby is just beautiful. What gorgeous interesting face. Congratulations on your new kitty.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Senior Cat

She's just beautiful, congratulations. I would call her a dark blended Tortie. Calicos have mostly white with red and black as secondary colours from memory. Regarding fur length, some kittens start out fluffy/long haired but their adult coat comes in shorter so only time will tell. At the moment I'd she she's medium haired but I reckon she may end up with a shorter coat than she has now.

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you both so much! I really appreciate your response.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Premier Cat

Her coloring is very interesting! I've never seen another cat just like her. I don't know about labeling colors either, but just wanted to say what a unique and gorgeous kitty she is.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Tom Cat

How funny, I had the same question when I got my Freja. I would call yours a tortie with white. The general consensus I've heard is that its distinguished by base color; is she white with dark spots (calico) or dark with light spots. I had thought it was based on the size of the spotting (i.e calicos should have large solid patches) but that doesn't appear to be the case
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Kitten

I'm no help with colors, but may I just say that your Ruby is a doll!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Cool Cat

I'd also call her a tortie and second the medium length coat. Long haired kitties look like puff balls at 11 weeks and short haired kitties would not be quite that fluffy. She's very pretty. I love the half and half face.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Senior Cat

This is my Miss Effie as a kitten. She's a dark blended tortie. These Tortie's colouring is often more muted when they are kittens and the colour deepens and becomes more defined as their adult coat comes in.

And her she is as an adult. you can see how much richer the colour of her coat is now.

Your little one is going to be a STUNNER when she's grown up! I can't wait to watch her progress

Jen - owned by ...

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Cat Addict

Yep, I agree, tortie. Calicos usually have a white base with orange and black spots (they are always three colors). Also interesting, is that many torties have a "split face" so they almost look like a chimera, where one half of the face is orange and the other black, which your kitty has. And she looks long haired to me. She's beautiful!! Cute name too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page