My thinking re adding another cat to the mix - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My thinking re adding another cat to the mix

Our family has 2 cats (one young and one much older). The young one Mogget (we have had as stray kitten since early August 2013) is a pretty typical playful kitten while the 14.5 year old Bill (whom we have had since he was a kitten...also a stray) is crotchety to say the least; and he has always been this way. And so it is only just now, about 5 months after introductions that Bill (an indoor outdoor cat) seems to be coming to uneasy terms with sharing our house with the youngster (who is strictly an indoor cat)(but that is another story ). But I am sorry to say that youngster will never be able to "play" with oldster...he has no patience for such antics given his age and disposition.

I am toying with the idea of getting a kitten (as early as possible into the coming summer); one that would/could be a lifetime playmate for Mogget.

We love our cats (one a bit more than the other ) BUT it would so great to finally have a (extra) friendly, affectionate, clever, outgoing cat. I know nothing is certain when it comes to pet personalities but I want to do all I can to have the best chance that this new cat has such a disposition.

All else being equal can one expect that a high quality Burmese cattery will much more likely produce kittens that have the highly desirable characteristics of this breed (as compared to your garden variety non pure).

(Here are Bill and Mogget from the past summer).

Of course I welcome your comments and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lukeandTammy.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	41034  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Senior Cat

21Rouge, only you can know whether or not you are ready to add another cat to the mix. I can only attempt to make you aware of what my concerns would be if I were you. We recently took a second cat into our home a couple months ago. Seamus the new addition is not a kitten but he is more lively( or was) than our grumpy old lady, Asia. Adding another cat could be the best thing for your other cats or it could be the worst; it is always a gamble.

Asia has never lived with another cat until of recent, so I fear that she just does not know how to communicate with other cats as easily as with dogs. They can live peacefully but do not love each other. However, adding this cat has been great for her. She plays non stop now, has become more vocal, and has even enjoyed being a lap cat.

If I were you I would be worried that the two younger cats may end up being too much for Bill to handle. The stress could certainly reduce his coming years. however, it could take some of the stress off Bill because they would both bother each other and forget about Bill. If I were you, I wouldn't adopt another kitten. I would look for a one year old at the shelter. You could look for a personality match for both of your resident cats. As far as a purebred cat vs. Moggie comparison I cannot help you. I have only had moggies.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
If I were you I would be worried that the two younger cats may end up being too much for Bill to handle. The stress could certainly reduce his coming years. however, it could take some of the stress off Bill because they would both bother each other and forget about Bill.
Yes it is the second possibility that I would be hoping for.

We are just grateful that Bill is now tolerating young Mogget. (Bill is a cat that will chase after dogs when outside....he continues to be an aggressive cat even in his senior years).

Our concern is lack of stimulation for the now almost 9 month old Mogget as either Bill is inside in the cold weather and ignoring her or when the warm weather returns he is out and again Mogget is alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Tom Cat

What about an adult cat? One that's not old but not young, either. That way both cats can be accommodated?(Stamina to play with young cat but wise enough to leave older cat alone) It's just a thought. I would make sure the cat you adopt is very friendly to other cats and laid-back.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
What about an adult cat?
I was going to dismiss this suggestion out of hand but upon reflection I do see the value of such a choice. Specifically with an adult the temperament is established....less chance of a surprise in this regard.

But I think I really would like to have the experience of looking after a pure bred from a quality cattery.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Rouge View Post
I was going to dismiss this suggestion out of hand but upon reflection I do see the value of such a choice. Specifically with an adult the temperament is established....less chance of a surprise in this regard.

But I think I really would like to have the experience of looking after a pure bred from a quality cattery.
You can still adopt an adult from a reputable breeder. They have cats that are usually around 3 years old that they retire from their breeding program that they need to find homes for. These are usually champion cats that are absolutely beautiful and well-tempered.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Tom Cat

Oh please, get another kitten....you will make your household so much happier. Mogget needs a playmate about the same age as she is. My vet told me it would be best to get the opposite sex.....it worked for me. The positive outcome would be that Bill gets his peace back. He can be in control of how much interaction he does or doesn't want with the small fry. My older cat prefers to sit a distance away and watch...but it has perked him up considerably.
I got a shelter cat (I wanted her sister because I liked her colors better) Katie was having none of that. She just took over the adoption process! It's true, your best fit will pick you. All 4 of mine have picked me....and that feels good.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Senior Cat

I would see if you could get an adult purebred but I think 3 may be too old... I think 1 is perfect... a kitten may throw bill over the edge... less surprises. .. although if you are set on a kitten I would ask if they have a laid back kitten that I'd anticonflict that bill could show who is boss without retaliation. .. I feel like the breeder would have enough experience to predict future temperment... but with a kitten I'm sure their would be surprises

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

UPDATE:

We are on a short waiting list for a Japanese Bobtail. We are quite hopeful that this kitten will come to us this coming July. For many reasons we are very impressed with the breeder.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:52 AM
Premier Cat

21Rouge, if you get a chance...
Post a picture please! :p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page