Newby from Canada! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Newby from Canada!

Hello hello

My name is Holly - I hail from Ontario, Canada, although I am originally from England! I live with my boyfriend and our dog Pickles (rotti), our hamster Scone and our new kitten called Snow!

Snow has quite the tale...

Three weeks ago I found her mewing outside a house in the neighbourhood I live. It was -15 and the snow was past my knees and the poor little thing was wet through so I knocked on this person's house and asked whether the kitten could come in. I was given a big fat and rather rude no from the person. She said - and I quote 'That cat is not allowed in this house'. I asked what I should do with it and she told me to leave it. And so I did. Three hours later when it was still out there mewing I couldn't bear it and I brought it in for the night, where it instantly became a firm friend with the dog and swaggered about like she owned the place, rubbing her face against ours in bed and attacking our feet under the cover.

I was smitten, but there was the small issue that she wasn't ours. I didn't want to take her to the SPCA, lest she was returned to this lady who clearly didn't want her. So I released her. That evening, she was still out there mewing, but this time she readily followed me into my house. I spoke (rather bravely, I thought considering our last encounter) to the lady and informed her I had taken in her cat. And she didn't in the least care.

It became obvious that she had fleas and a little round tummy - worms? I hoped.

Anyway, I couldn't do anything about it as I was due to fly back to England to see my family for the first time in a year! So I left our new kitten (rescued from the snow and thus named Snow) in the capable hands of my boyfriend whilst I left across the ocean.

He managed to book her into the vets, where we discovered that the little round tummy was a belly full of kits and she is 6 weeks pregnant, at seven months old, poor thing. We were offered the option of having her spayed there and then, but I (via hasty text messages from 4000 miles away) told my boyfriend that it would have been different were they younger, but at that age they have whiskers and I can't morally make that decision.

Sooooo...I guess we will have a few kits more in three weeks time, much research is now being done and that is why I am here!! Seeking advice! Off to search the forums I need lots of advice from all you people, who I am sure are 'been there done that' types!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Premier Cat

That was a very nice thing you did for that poor sweetheart. Her and her babies will have a safe place. That is pretty awesome!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I hope so - I hope that we haven't made a bad decision to not have her spayed, it is plaguing me a little, but anything has to be better than putting her out in the snow to have babies, which is what would have happened had we not taken her in.

Here is a photo of the little mite when we got her she is white, but for a tiny sliver of grey on her forehead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1489101_582469158492596_213829637_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	41306  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Premier Cat

AWW, she is very pretty. Very appropriate name. I am sure you will get lots of good advice and information here.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Premier Cat

At only seven months...she's still a kitten herself...
Be prepared for anything if you're going to "let" her have kittens...

She might be a good mother...
Or she might not have clue...

You guys should have Kitten Replacement Milk on hand and some kitten nursing bottles on hand as well...
A heating pad, a box lined with warm towels or something else easily washed...

I really do understand your quandary...
But have you thought about her health?
She should have been concentrating on her growth (she is still growing at that age)
Not sending all precious nutrients to kittens...
Keep her fed very well, she's going to need all the help she can get from you guys!

Now all that being said...
I am so Happy you took her in!
At least if she has kittens, she is in a safe warm place, with people who care!!
Keep us all posted!
And she's a very pretty girl!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Premier Cat

Feed her kitten food. It has a lot of calories and nutrients that will help her with the kittens. Feed her as much as she wants when she is nursing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I am absolutely concerned about her health, she is far too young, had she been less pregnant I would have considered having her spayed, but I couldn't morally make that decision - esp as it was presented as a split decision to make in a 'now or never' type of way by the vet and I didn't want to make a wrong decision. I googled it all etc and found that at 6 weeks her kittens have whiskers and claws and that most vets won't perform the procedure beyond four weeks, so it was just too hard a decision to make - for right or wrong. We aren't just 'letting' her have them - all aspects have been considered, and it makes no difference now as the decision has been made.

Now I need to help her as practically as possible. Kitten milk replacement is an awesome thing - will add to list, where would I get that from? Thanks for adding the other things too, there are a few things on there we hadn't got on our list too x
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Tom Cat

Thanks for taking her in!! You can get the milk from your vet and possibly your local pet store.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Tom Cat

What an awesome thing you and your boyfriend did by taking in Snow! That lady next door needs a lesson on compassion!!

Good luck with the pregnancy and keep us up-to-date on her progress, okay?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Premier Cat

Holly, Sorry if I sounded kinda hard...
I did want you to understand the gravity of the situation tho'
It sounds like you've got a good grasp on it and just being prepared for anything is half the battle!!
I am so happy you're on the forum!
There will be all kinds of 'aunts' and 'uncles' ready to jump in and assist you here! :p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page