Help I think my kitten is pregnant!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Help I think my kitten is pregnant!!!

I have a 5 month old kitten that wasn't allowed to be let outside and now I think she is pregnant! She is a great escape artist and often slipped out when someone opened the door to go outside, if she ever escaped with me I would run after her (sometimes with bare feet in snow) but my brothers won't chase after her at all. Which is likely why she got pregnant.

Anyway should I get them aborted? The only male cat that really hangs around our place I think is her father so she could be pregnant with him one more reason to get them aborted!

But I am really worried about the abortion part! Will it hurt her? I just want my kitty to be ok!

Just so you all know I was and still am planning on getting her spayed, she just isn't yet because she is to young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Cat Addict

Firstly, was she in season when she got out and how long ago was it?

Personally I would take her to the vet and discuss it with him / her.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Premier Cat

We've had a 6 month old kitten pregnant, recently. 5 months, I'm not sure of. What makes you think she is pregnant. What are the signs your seeing? This is why once a cat is 3 pounds in the US we get them s/n just because there is the outside chance this can happen. Don't be down on yourself. Some cats make it their life mission to be door darters. Its a hard habit to break.

As far as aborting them it is up to you and your convictions if you should do this. Be prepared, if you let her have kittens, for her possibly to reject them and you will have to bottle feed them. First time very young moms can be a bit sketchy with their maternal skills. You will need to feed her extra nutritious food while she is pregnant and nursing kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Senior Cat

5 months is not too young to get a cat fixed. I agree with the others- you will really need to talk to a vet before making any decisions. If it turns out she is not pregnant, get her spayed ASAP.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Cat Addict

You do need to speak to your vet, if she is pregnant but is very early on then having her spayed is the best choice if you can handle it.

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again; yes, many places in the US DO s/n at 2lbs and 2 months...up here in 'the great frozen north' many places won't s/n until 6 months. It might simply not be an option where the OP is to have gotten her spayed earlier. I can't say for sure, but in my area the only places that have access to early (under 6 months) s/n are a few of the rescues. Here all vets (and I do mean ALL of them) will neuter males at 5 months but won't spay a female under 6 months, and if she's tiny they may wait longer.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Premier Cat

From what I understand, young and small cats can have a lot of trouble birthing. I seem to remember a few people on here losing kittens while they were whelping because they were young and VERY small....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Cat

I would definitely take her in and get her spayed/kittens taken care of. There are enough kittens in this world that need homes already
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks everyone!

CatMonkey's: She is a really small cat and way to young to be spayed! You can go right ahead and s/n your cats when they are 5 months old but I am not ever going to!!!
Here is something you should read:
Your Dog Needs To Be Spayed Or Neutered Right? | Dogs Naturally Magazine
If she wasn't a outside cat I would never get her spayed but since she loves the outdoors I really have no choice.

Like I mentioned before she is a very small cat, her mom is small as well.

Should I get her spayed when I get the kittens aborted? I don't want to do it when she is so young but if it will make everything easier I will do it.

Mitts & Tess: She isn't normally a very affectionate cat but now she will wake me up in the middle of the night to cuddle with me. She sleeps with me to when normally she won't, she also is getting a belly one she shouldn't be getting.
She is acting like her mother when she was pregnant. Same stuff happening.

I am really good at telling if a animal is pregnant!! The one time when my Dog was late for her heat and she was getting fatter and my Mum said she thought she was pregnant but just looking at her I could tell she wasn't. Same thing with looking at my goats I can tell if they are pregnant or not just by looking at them. I am pretty good at telling with humans to. I can usually tell before anyone else in my family.

And she often gets out. Having a big family with some young children cat's get let out a lot!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Premier Cat

CanucksStar, if this little girl at five months old is already Pregnant...
Than she's old enough to be spayed, IMO!
How it would be considered 'ok' for a Kitten (which she still is...) to become a mother...But not to spay, because she's to 'young'...
Really seems oxymoronic!
I know this has to do with the rules your vets use there!
So this comment is Not aimed at you personally!

I know you are thinking about her health...
The safest bet is to have her spayed at the same time you take her for the 'abort'...
Everything can be taken care of at the same time, saving her from having to go through it later...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksStar#17 View Post
If she wasn't a outside cat I would never get her spayed but since she loves the outdoors I really have no choice.
My girl is an indoor cat and she's spayed. You never know when they'll make a dash for the door and escape! It also eliminates the chance of uterine cancer and reduces the chance of mammary cancer. There are all kinds of benefits behaviorally too good luck with your little girl.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page