in over my head - new mom threatening kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

in over my head - new mom threatening kittens

I have a cat that had recently had kittens and I desperately need advice. She is literally trying to kill them. A friend that works at friends of strays has offered to take them to a shelter on Monday. I know they are young but are they better off. Don't know if I'm posting in the right place so i Will stop here but any questions i will be glad to answer. Thanks for advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Senior Cat

I'm confused. What is your question?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Cat

Are these feral cats? Sometimes, the mama cat will kill kittens if she can't feed them all or senses something "odd" about them. Scary but.... If this is a domestic cat, not a converted feral you are handling it. Are they eating on their own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:09 AM
Cat Addict

How old are the kittens? IMO their age onky matter because of the amount of work you'll need to do.

Surrendering the kittens is not the best option, many shelters euthanize kittens too young to be adopted if theyre full up. I know for a fact the one by me will accept the kittens and euth any under 6 weeks once kitten season gets going.

For whatever reason your cat had kittens, that makes their care your responsibility. Things like this are one rusk of having unaltered females. First time mums arent always the best. Seperate them from the mother permanently, look up how to care for abandoned kittens, and start working. Also, get momma cat spayed ASAP. Since she's clearly not going to be nursing you don't need to wait until the kittens are old enough to wean.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Premier Cat

You don't state if you are in Timbuktu or a city in the USA. I can't speak for others but a USA shelter will likely have volunteers ready and able to bottle feed babies if that is needed, but call ahead to be sure. You could do that yourself and post an ad on Craigslist or other site for someone to adopt the babies. Any emergency interaction would be good if momma is truly harming the babies.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Im sorry, I know it wasn't much information. My cat is not feral, I have had her since she was 12 weeks and she is now a new mother (she herself is only 10 months) At first she was a very loving mother to them but recently she started attacking them. Clawing at them, pouncing on them and making them cry out. They seem terrified of her and she literally chases them down. Since I started this post we lost one of the kittens (not due to her attacking it) but now I am very concerned that they would be better off at the shelter (it is no kill) they are almost 6 weeks old
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Also, I know it was irresponsible of me. I actually thought at this point she was too young and she is usually an inside cat just got out a couple times. I will be getting her spayed asap
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

They just started eating kitten chow, I have been mixing it with water and my friend at the shelter said they will bottle feed them until they are old enough to be adopted. Im sad and I think they are too young but I dont feel they are safe here.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Cool Cat

At 6 weeks they can be away from mom and you won't even have that much work to do. They should be able to eat on their own, as you see they're already starting on kitten chow. They shouldn't need to be bottle fed at 6 weeks unless they're refusing to eat solids. Do you have a way to separate them from mom? (Like keep them in a bathroom and give her run of the house but not allow her outdoors).

Do you have a small scale, like for food, or weighing mail? At 6 weeks the kittens should weigh roughly 1.5 lbs (24 ounces). If you can weigh them and they're on track, you're probably fine to keep them, just separated from mom, for another few weeks. They can be adopted out at 8 weeks, so you're nearly there, if you can hang on. If they're underweight and you aren't able to supplement/bottle feed them, then surrendering them to a no-kill shelter might be the best option. Babies can be overwhelming, but at 6 weeks old you're in the home stretch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Cat Addict

waaaaa thats so sad poor kittens. i have no advice...im sorry but maybe surrendering IS the best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page