pregnant cats nipples seem small - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question pregnant cats nipples seem small

Hi all. I'm just after a bit of advice really.
My pure orange Cleo is heavily pregnant. As in I've been waiting for days but nothing as yet.
I've read lots online about the signs of labour but have a few questions.
Do all pregnant queens lose their hair around the teats?
Cleo hasn't yet and also her teats seem small. (Although she is a tiny cat herself)
I've gently squeezed her teats and a little milk came out.
Other than this I can't see any real signs. She's not acting particularly restless. She's not eating as much but doesn't refuse her favourite dreamies treats.
She is very big especially at the sides. I can feel the kittens.
Does all this sound OK? Do you think labour is imminent. I'm loathed to take her temp as she is extremely timid and I don't want to stress her.
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Premier Cat

Aww...Hang in there Amylou!!
We do have a lot of people, but people are on at all kinds of times! We have people from around the world here!
I wish I could help with your specific question, but I'm not that well versed in pregnant mama kitties!
Someone will respond-just have a little patience!!
In the meantime, you can use the 'Search' mode on the forum to find other threads with similar questions!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Premier Cat

We have a lot of fosterers here who help care for pregnant mama cats before they are later spayed and kittens are found homes for...
I'm sure they could help with any questions!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Cool Cat

First off, do you have an idea of when Cleo became pregnant? The typical gestation period for cats is around 9 weeks, give or take a few days.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes. Judging by my calculations she was 9 weeks on Wednesday. I only found out when I took her in to be spayed and the vet informed me she was pregnant.
The vet said she thought she was around 7 weeks. That was 2 weeks ago.
Its just a waiting game I suppose but I'm excited and nervous. I'm scared to go out and leave her because I worry about her getting into difficultirs . she really is a tiny cat I just worry and want to be there for her.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Senior Cat

I'm by no means an expert, but how old is your cat? You said she's tiny, so I'm assuming also young and first time pregnant, not a stray? If so, please don't take any chances. If you're worried take her to the vet. There can be complications with mothers who are still a kitten themselves.

Sent from Petguide.com App

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Cool Cat

The waiting is always the hardest part. I had a pregnant foster that the shelter told me was due any day and she held onto those little suckers for another week. I had another pregnant foster and with her I couldn't even feel the babies moving, and she popped out 5 healthy little monsters 4 days later. There's a LOT of variation...she probably won't have every sign you read about (the same is true of humans--not everyone has the same birth experience).

I also share Zuma's questions...how small is she? Young? First litter? If she's under a year old, watch her VERY closely. Also, if it's her first litter. Try not to interfere with the actual birth process though (when she finally has them! ) unless mom or babies seem to be in trouble. It's better to let her do as much as she can on her own. If you'd like, I have a digital info booklet from the shelter I foster for that talks about birth, what to watch for, etc. If you want to private message me your email address, I'd be happy to forward it on to you.

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Premier Cat

Zima, I thought same thing when I saw she was "tiny". Be very watchful and don't hesitate to call the vet if you're unsure.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Cat

My cat was 8 months old when she had her 3 kittens. She is a very small girl and her nipples were small too.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

She is 1 year old.
I think she's just generally a small cat. This is her first litter. But I am keeping a watchful eye. I don't know I'm probably just being paranoid as I don't think she's exhibiting much mothering behaviour.
Today she just Been sleeping. I'm starting to doubt she's even got any in there and is just stressing me out for kicks lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page