Found an Abandoned Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Found an Abandoned Kitten

This morning we found an abandoned kitten that the vet said was 3 to 4 weeks old. He also weighs 12 oz. Were bottle feeding the little guy every 4 hours and were wondering why his ears are still so floppy all the pics I saw had them with more sticking up ears. So were wondering when they will probably stick up. He can walk around but is still woble and not very fast. Also, I heard he didn't need to be fed overnight but was wondering when his first and last feeding should be. Also, any tips on getting are two adult cats to like him. Currently were keeping him in a lage dog crate with a small cat crate with a heat pad that he can go in when he wants to. We also put a litter box in with kitten safe litter. He can go to the bathroom on his own. He peed on the paper.
So here is are new little boy Simbia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

The little guy also seems to have developed some diarrhea, it's dark in color. Should I dilute his forumla more to help him get over it.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Premier Cat

Hrosec, What a Precious Baby! I hope some of our experienced kitten fosterers can help you soon!
I believe kittens need to be fed no more than 3 hours apart...
And they do require feedings at night!
Hang in there!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Cat Addict

Dilute his formula and take him to the vet in the morning. Dark stool can mean blood...

The ears firm up at varying rates, Doran had floppy ear tips until 6 weeks, but your Simbas seem floppier than most. Give it time, floppy ears wont hurt him anyways. Its cute too!

At his age 4 hours during the day, 6 at night. So feed him late and get up early..then go back to bed
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He is quite a cutie! We will take him back in tomorrow if it doesn't clear up. Luckily I do have 2 other people to help with feeding.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for all the help so far. His diarrhea has stuff and he has start to the use the litter box we made him. We also got un clumping pine stuff. We havve been having a small problem, yesterday I was letting him play on my lap and he decided to attach my foot at first he was not really biting but when I tried to remove him he started growling and wouldn't let go so I scruff end him gently and removed him from my foot. We then put him in a carrier for a short time out. Is there anything else we should do?
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Cat Addict

Don't scruff him, give him a toy instead. At his age he shouldn't get any sort of 'correction' or punishment. He's just too little for it. Just replace what you don't want with what you do want.

So, in the example you gave, rather than trying to physically remove him from his toy (which is what he thought he had), grab a pillow, toy or other interesting thing and wiggle it around to encourage him to pounce and bite THAT instead.

Also, don't use your hands to play with him. You can hold a toy and wiggle it, but don't use just hands, it encourages biting and play behaviors directed at skin. Bad idea.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Cat

I would say he's about 3 weeks old cus ears start to unfold when 4 weeks old..atleast from my experience with my litter I have now (5 weeks old now)

But all kittens are different

Cat Daddy <3 <3 <3
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Cool Cat

Another thing you can do if he starts chewing on your hands/feet is a kind of high pitched "Ow!" or some similar sound (not loud, just higher pitched). It's close to the sound his littermates would make if he were playing too rough with them. That's the sound I make when my fosters get too excited about my feet. Or knees. Or back. But given his age, I wouldn't expect him to instantly get what you're trying to tell him. It'll take a few weeks.

Kittens should gain about 4 ounces a week, so if he's 3 weeks old, he's right on track for weight. If he's 4 weeks old, he's a little on the small side.

At 4 weeks (which he may or may not already be) you can try to get him interested in solid foods. I always have kitten crunchies out for my fosters...and then they can nibble if/when they decide they want to. Human baby food (meat flavors like ham or turkey) is how I tempt my little ones. Ham especially seems to be a favorite. He will still need formula for a few weeks, but once he figures out solid food, that might ease your feeding schedule a bit. Just put a tiny bit of the baby food on a spoon. If he doesn't take a bite/lick, you can put a tiny bit in his mouth (not enough to choke him--more like a little taste). Once they swallow that tiny bit, they'll either look confused or get really excited about the spoon. With my current fosters, little girl kitten figured out baby food after two attempts with the spoon. Her brother took over a week.

Once they've figured out that solid foods like baby food are yummy, you can start slowly adding in wet kitten food and get him used to that flavor. Then just decrease the amount of baby food in the mix slowly over a few days or a week until he's eating straight kitten food.

Raising kittens is a lot of work, but at 4 weeks he's through some of the toughest parts already. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Cool Cat

Also, latching onto your foot and growling seems a little intense for a three week old. Mine are barely tottering at that stage. I'd bet he's a little older...four or maybe even 5 weeks (but malnourished). "Latch and growl" is just too advanced a milestone for him to have at 3 weeks. Since he's an orphan, he could be lonesome. Do you have a stuffed animal or something that he could "snuggle" with for a few weeks? Once he's a little bigger and integrated into the house with your other cats they will probably fill that role for him, but right now he needs a "mom."

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page