Need some help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Need some help

I have 2 outside cats ...one male & one female...well umm....the female had 3 kittens this month. This is her second litter. Don't worry..im going to get the mom trapped and get her spayed. I am working on the kittens first. Getting them used to me and finding them a home.

Anyways... The mom is a really pretty calico. Great markings too. The dad is all grey. He has a white chest and his back legs are white. Both parents are short hair.

When the grey cat: aka Smokey and his last girlfriend ms.brindie(who I took inside in 2009) they had 2 litters together and in both litters there was always a fluffy cat.

Last year when Smokey and the calico had 2 kittens...they were both short hair kittens. This time... Smokey and the calico has 2 fluffy kittens and 1 short hair kitten.

SO.. I was wondering if you can explain in simple terms how smokey is throwing fluffy kittens in these litters. He Is a short hair. Could it be that somewhere in his pedigree there was a fluffy cat??

Smokey

Ms.Calie

Another question... can you explain to me in simple terms on how the fluffy kittens came out in these colors ..

1.white & black
1.white & peach
1. dilute tortie

I think the tortie and the peach ones are girls. not sure about the black one yet b/c I cant get near that one.

here are the kitten pics.

explain these guys

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Explain???? Holy crap, forget about that! I want the orange and white kitty!!!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Cat Addict

I have no clue but they are adorable kittens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Cat

Gimme the dilute tortie, so gorgeous! Glad you're finding the kittens homes, good luck with trapping the mama.

I really know nothing about cat genetics outside of the basics, though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help!

☆ ☆ ☆
"time spent with cats is never wasted."
[
edgar | michonne | novalee | oliver | kosmo | pumpkin ] <--- my cats
[ grumpy | big poppa | lily | cj | peanut ] <--- my ferals
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Cat Addict

Ok, bear with me. This is all as I'm remembering, so I might be off...but I think this is right:

The long haired gene is recessive, so both parents need to be carriers in order to produce a long haired kitten. (They can be carriers without being long haired themselves)

Then the colors:
Mama is a calico, so she carries genes for orange, black, and the white spotting.
Dad (probably - keep in mind a litter can have more than one father!) is grey with white, so he carries the black gene, the white spotting gene, AND the dilution gene.

So between the two you can get:
-orange
-orange with white
-dilute orange
-dilute orange with white
-black
-black with white
-grey
-grey with white
-calico (all versions)
-dilute calico (all versions)

AND, since that orange kitten seems extra fluffy, both parents must be carrier for the long haired gene.

Also, I'd strongly suggest just taking the kittens in when they reach 5-6 weeks. And trap Mum-cat ASAP because she could already be pregnant again! The sooner you have her spayed the better. TBH I'd spay her before the kittens if you have to choose.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Premier Cat

I'd guess that mama kitty is cheating on Smokey...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:31 AM
Cat Addict

Are you also going to get Smokie neutered as well as mama? It would stop him having further litters too which is a good thing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny bf View Post
Are you also going to get Smokie neutered as well as mama? It would stop him having further litters too which is a good thing.

Smokey is the only male cat and Cali is the only female cat on my street. so im going to trap cali and get the kittens.. going to leave smokey alone.

besides.. I don't think he will fall for the trap trick. its going to be hard to trap cali I have a feeling.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Cat Addict

Actually, since she's got kittens you might be able to catch her pretty easy. Just plan to trap her the same day you take the kits. Set the kitten up in a carrier, with the trap set right up against the door with a blanket or towel over it. When the kittens cry mum should run right into the trap. Ta-da!

As for leaving Smokey alone...he might be the only cat NOW, but that doesn't guarantee the future AND unneutered males are MUCH more likely to roam in search of a female and get in fights. So, he could end up running off in search of more fertile land (if you know what I mean )and he'll still be contributing to the overpopulation issue.

As far as trapping him goes; don't feed him for a day (it won't kill him, but it will make him good and hungry - oh, and ask any neighbors who might be feeding him not to as well), then set up the trap with yummy tuna inside. If he's never been trapped before it should work like a charm. If you're not sure it'll work borrow the trap for a week or two, feed him nearby the first day, then gradually move the food further into the trap every day (without setting the trap - so it's 'safe'), and the trap day simply set the trap with the food in it and he'll waltz right in. *shrugs* no difficulties.

In any case, a neuter surgery for a male cat is MUCH less invasive than the spay surgery, so I don't really see why you wouldn't have him neutered.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Wink

Is the little grey girl a dilute calico or is she a dilute tortie?

Torties dont have white on them right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page