a weird question about at what age cats can breed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

a weird question about at what age cats can breed

I have 3 kittens who are 12 weeks old. 2 girls and 1 boy.

At what age do they start to mate ? do they even do that to each other (same family)

We are going to get these kitties fixed. We are just waiting to trap the parents first and get them fixed.

oh and can an adult cat have a second litter in the fall time? or does that only happen in the spring? She had this litter in june sometime. that's why we want to trap her before it happens again.

Last edited by marie73; 09-15-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Premier Cat

From what I understand they can become sexually mature as young a 4 months, thiugh is not usual.

No, cats don't care about 'family ties'. When they mate, that is immaterial to them.

They can have kittens whenever... year round.... she could have gotten pregnant when she was still nursing... they can come into heat that fast.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Kitten

I was told by my vet that kittens should be altered by the age of 4 months to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Ive heard of a kitten at the young age of 7 months being pregnant which I though was horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 06:25 AM
Premier Cat

At what age do they start to mate ? do they even do that to each other (same family)
As young as 6 months and yes they do mate with each other.

We are going to get these kitties fixed. We are just waiting to trap the parents first and get them fixed.
Don't wait too long. Schedule the surgery for the kittens for late next month.

oh and can an adult cat have a second litter in the fall time? or does that only happen in the spring? She had this litter in june sometime. that's why we want to trap her before it happens again.
She can go into heat almost immediately after the kittens are weaned and may already be pregnant....so YES a second letter in the fall or winter is possible.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you Marcia,

The cat trap will be set late tonight. We are hoping that the momma cat gets trapped first. mom made the appointment for tomorrow's visit to the tara van. if we don't trap anyone..then we will try again next week and so on...

We are going to get the kittens fixed soon.

Last edited by marie73; 09-15-2014 at 11:45 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Premier Cat

On one of my breeding lists, someone posted that a mom had only one kitten and within a couple days was already calling....so it can be very quick.

You may notice your male will soon practice mating with the girls. He will bite their necks and mount them; they will howl. He is not capable of fertilization at 12 weeks, but I have heard of some males who have been confirmed fathers as young as 4.5 months. There are ways of telling when a male is capable of fertilization, but this is a family-friendly-forum.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Cat

I see year old females at the shelter. If they have a litter as soon as they're sexually mature they don't reach their full size. They're often the smallest adult cats you'll see at the shelter. They get adopted quickly too because they're so cute.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Cat Guy View Post
I see year old females at the shelter. If they have a litter as soon as they're sexually mature they don't reach their full size. They're often the smallest adult cats you'll see at the shelter. They get adopted quickly too because they're so cute.
Really? I'd never heard that before..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Premier Cat

I can believe about the part of them remaining small...
After all...when every bit of nutrition, that SHOULD be going into their growth, is being siphoned off because of pregnancy...
How can it not affect their proper growth and health??
Which is very sad to me...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Cat Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
I can believe about the part of them remaining small...
After all...when every bit of nutrition, that SHOULD be going into their growth, is being siphoned off because of pregnancy...
How can it not affect their proper growth and health??
Which is very sad to me...

It's true. both Midnight and Momo were pregnant we took them in (2005 and 2011, respectively). Midnight was 9 months old when she had 4 kittens (2 stillbirths and 2 survivors). We kept the survivors. Momo, on the other hand, was 6 months old and 7 weeks pregnant when we took her in. Because she was so young and tiny, I made the painful decision to spay her and abort her kittens. If she had had given birth, she may have had difficulties and possibly died. I don't think any of her kittens would have survived, either. When we picked her up after her spay, I asked the vet how many kittens she was carrying. He said she had six kittens in her. To this day, and even though I know I made the right decision, I still struggle with it sometimes.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page