Should I trust anyone online? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Should I trust anyone online?

I recently found some cats for adoption online; Birmans, Bengals, British Shorthairs. I would definitely want a Birman or a British Shorthair, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not they are what they say they are. Has anyone had experience with something like this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Tom Cat

I'm more involved with the dog world so I will tell you what I would tell dog people. Is it possible for you to visit the breeder? Do they show there cats? If so you should be able to look up the cats name in a registry. Ask for proof of pictures as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Cat

I found my breeder online originally

Before I sent the money I made sure she was registered and her number checked out

If they are a registered shelter or something maybe try looking them up? If it was just a random person giving away a kitty I would keep a healthy level of skepticism but would try to meet up with them in person in a public place if possible.

Loki: Blue point Devon Rex
Freyja: My flame and blue Devon Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Premier Cat

Hi there,
There's a sticky under the Breeding forum, entitled, "A good breeder". It has an extensive list on what you should look out for, and basically how to really tell if you're dealing with a reputable breeder or not. It's definitely worth the read, to prevent buying from not so authentic breeders out there who are only in it for the profit and at the animal's expense.

Are you thinking of adopting Midnight along with another kitty? Just wondering...Midnight may benefit from another kitten, though!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Premier Cat

We have a couple from "Siamese Rescue" in to the shelter about twice a week to take in all the Siamese looking cats and kittens. These are mixed breed kittens and cats passed off as Siamese. So to answer your question, NO I would not trust them at all.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you for the inputs, guys. I e-mailed the breeder and she started asking me all these different kinds of info, like where who I am, where I'm from, and why I want to adopt her 11 week old Ragdolls.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Premier Cat

Just in case it's hard to find, here is that thread on a good breeder. It's geared for someone who wants to breed their cat... but all the points are absolutely spot on for finding a good breeder.

https://www.catforum.com/forum/39-bre...d-breeder.html

For me, I wouldn't buy a cat, dog, horse, or anything unless it was within a distance for me to visit. I want to SEE where the cats live and how they are treated. I want to SEE how the breeder interacts with the animals and how they are treated. All that is going to shape their temperaments and personalities.

I would make sure to research the breed and know what defects come with them. Then I'd wait for the breeder to bring it up. If they don't bring them up without me prompting them and show me proof that their cats are tested before breeding, I'd walk away. They are dishonest.

I'd want to SEE the sire and the queen. Not pictures, the actual cats.

I'd ask if their cats are shown. WHY are they breeding. If they aren't showing their cats and breeding to improve the quality of the breed, they aren't a good breeder.

I would expect to hear there is a return policy. If the cat has something wrong with it the contract should state clearly what happens. Usually that means returning the cat for another or your $$ back.

Are they going to be there to help you after adoption. Do you have their home number and their cell number so if there are any issues or questions you can contact them at any time.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I was just looking it up and there is a society here that deals with pure breds, called the Central Cat Fanciers Club of the Philippines or CCFCP. They're registered as an official club with the Cat Fanciers Association. I e-mailed CCFCP asking if they had a breeder's registry where I can look up the names of the breeders.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Premier Cat

That's a good resource to start. Just remember that it's probably a registry they can pay to be on so it doesn't guarantee they are quality breeders. You still need to take all the steps to be sure they are a quality breeder and not a backyard kitten mill
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm planning to visit the breeder to check out their British Shorthairs. They're quiet rare here, so I can't wait for them to answer my questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page