Coat Color Curiosity - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Coat Color Curiosity

Hi Everybody!
I'm new to this so unfortunately I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, but I'm hoping some of you may know more on this subject. I have a little kitten I recently took off the streets, named Growler. He's been to see the vet twice now, shots and boosters, and both times the vet was really taken by his coat color. She called it smoke. I think he's a smoke mackerel tabby. He's not like any cat I've ever seen before, and I'm just wondering if that's really an unusual color. The local feral colony is pretty much black, black or black, although a few tuxedos showed up this past Spring. I'm just curious--he'll be neutered and his forever home is here with me. He just looks so...weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Without pictures there isn't much we can say. You need to upload pics to a site like Photobucket and then put the IMG link in your post here.

But..often when members post a question that sounds like yours the kitten appears to have fever coat. Google it, you'll find lots of pictures to compare to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Premier Cat

If your cat is pretty much solid black or very dark grey, but about half an inch of the roots of the hairs are distinctly white, it is a "smoke." It's normal for the roots on a solid black cat to be greyish; true smokes, on the other hand, have definite white roots. Smokes are the solid version of silver tabbies. Smokes are very distinctive because when they move, the hair parts and the white undercoat can be seen. They are some of the most beautiful of cat colors. I remember fondly a black smoke female I had many years ago.

A "black smoke" is a solid black cat with white roots. Black smoke kittens often show faint tabby markings which disappear in the adult coat.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks Ami! From your description he's definitely a smoke...the bottom half of the hairs are definitely white. The lighter color showing through the grey looks very distinctive when he moves...which he does a lot! I will have to spend more time figuring out this computer thingy so I can post pictures. I finally got a smart phone, so that's a step in the right direction. (looking up fever coat now...)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Wow! That's why I love this forum...always learning something new! I'd never heard of fever coat before. Growler's color is definitely genetic...but fever coat explains the strange feral in my yard. We call him Ruff. I was mystified when this all black long haired kitten suddenly developed a lovely silvery lions mane. Fever coat explains all. Fortunately, 4 months later he seems quite healthy with an excellent appetite. And really quite lovely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page