Considering either oriental or siamese? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Considering either oriental or siamese?

Im not sure which one to get to be honest BUT i am looking for one that is very very chatty so i can have little chats with.
I know they are hardwork and want to be around humans alot but one thing i am also confused about is that are these cats indoor or outdoor as i am planning on keeping indoor then taking out on a leash as i dont want to have it stolen.
Any advice and more info about these breeds are welcome and is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Cat Addict

A lot is down to personality. I have some total moggies who are really chatty. Any cat could theoretically be indoor or outdoor but the risk of theft increases with the monetary value of your cat which sounds horrible but is true.

Last edited by Arianwen; 03-07-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Premier Cat

Altho I haven't owned a Siamese or Oriental, I have observed them at many cat shows and they seem very similar in personality since the Oriental was developed from Siamese, with addition of American Shorthair and Abyssinians to get a non-pointed cat with similar body type. Whether you get a Siamese or Oriental they should be an indoor cat, as their insatiable curiosity can get them into a lot of trouble outdoors. Keep your cat safe as an indoor cat.

Breed Personality Chart

Oriental Shorthair Cats | Oriental Shorthair Cat Breed Info & Pictures | petMD

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Cat

I have two Siamese females from the same litter. One is very talkative and will follow me around the house and hold "conversations" lol Her sister is only vocal when she is asking for food or looking for either me or her sister however. They are very curious and intelligent cats. I would never let them outside. I tried to take them out on a leash when they were kittens. One would get out of her harness within minutes and the other would attempt to chase anything that moved. Leash training didn't last long but they do love the screened-in porch.

My Siamese are very affectionate and have bonded to me however, they are also affectionate with the other family members.

I was planning on just one, but I'm so glad my son talked me into both of them. If you can afford it get two! They'll keep each other occupied, or will be partners in crime!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Premier Cat

Another alternative to getting a Siamese or Oriental some fresh air is to use a pet stroller. I've had one for several years, and my cats look forward to their "walkies" by jumping in the stroller and meowing at me that that they want to go out. I tend to go somewhat the same route which would be equivalent of a cat's natural patrol of its territory. They get the fresh air, smell all the interesting scents, are safe zipped in the stroller from dogs or other cats. Get ones with the larger wheels as they go over rougher ground better. There are different styles, some are stacked....this is the type I have:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Kitten

Hey, I have a "modern" version of Siamese, not a traditional wedge one. Luna is her name. She's almost 1 year old, and have heat every 1~3 weeks for 1 week duration.

She's very shy to strangers and tend to hide from strangers too.I think this is because was abused by an older cat of the original breeder.
However, she's very affectionate to the family members and is a VERY VERY vocal cat.
Imgur

I tried to have my Luna walk on a leash but she's very shy so she will not leave the door. D:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Cat Addict

My Jules is DEFINITELY part oriental breed...what, I'm not sure, but a local vet who breeds several cat breeds has told me Havanese, others have told me everything from Bombay to Oriental Shorthair to Siamese. Whatever he is, he's not telling, lol! But he's got the long lean body shape, the triangle face, big ears, is VERY talkative, and is very eager to please.

That being said, he was thrown out. He was found in a cardboard box at maybe three weeks old, and was lucky to have been found. I've personally known him since I could fit him in my hand. He's now a lean mean, 9lb cat all muscle, is VERY smart, uses his paws to investigate everything, and loves everyone even though he is absolutely devoted to me.

When you bring an oriental type breed into your home, be prepared to stay on your toes...they are SMART! Jules even knows how to open and close doors, and knows sit and shake paw. I never walk him without a harness...while he is very attached to me, I could never forgive myself if something happened to him. He loves everyone, especially the elderly and dogs...he even gets along with other cats he's just met (after a hiss or two, lol). He talks to me CONSTANTLY, with little peeps and strings of almost bird-like noises. He's also very athletic...like this cat will jump over 7 feet high from a standstill just to catch a wand toy (he actually hit the ceiling fan once, lol!).

I guess with all this said, is that I got a mixed breed oriental rescue. He's really given me a lot to think about when it comes to cats, but I wouldn't change him one bit...he's my baby boy!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Cool Cat

Oriental is very unique looking. For cute factor I'd choose Siamese, for "wow" factor I'd choose Oriental.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Premier Cat

ThyrosineChoi: Hey, I have a "modern" version of Siamese, not a traditional wedge one. Luna is her name. She's almost 1 year old, and have heat every 1~3 weeks for 1 week duration.[/I]

And she will continue to come into heat after heat. Please get her spayed, as soon as possible. If she is not spayed she is at risk for developing mammary cancer, which often spreads to other parts of the body.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
ThyrosineChoi: Hey, I have a "modern" version of Siamese, not a traditional wedge one. Luna is her name. She's almost 1 year old, and have heat every 1~3 weeks for 1 week duration.[/I]

And she will continue to come into heat after heat. Please get her spayed, as soon as possible. If she is not spayed she is at risk for developing mammary cancer, which often spreads to other parts of the body.
It also contributes to her being "VERY VERY" vocal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page