Cat changing colors??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat changing colors???

My friend adopted a sweet white kitten at 8 weeks old. The baby is now 6 months old. My friend woke up yesterday morning to see a black stripe forming on the side of its body!
The cat was adopted from a shelter and they do not have any information about her parents.
Can cats change colors? What's the prognosis? Will it continue?
She really does not care what color it is, and will keep it of course even if turned green...
But we are curious about this... thoughts welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Cat

With noses, necks, feet, the answer is related to body temperature, which can impact fur color as cats develop. More generally, temperature can change the vibrancy or shade of existing colors.

I don't really know about emergent stripes on the body though, thats probably something different. And white cats are, I believe, somewhat genetically unusual, so that could be playing into it somehow.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Tom Cat

I've read that some breeds of cats like siamese start out white and then develop their adult colors as they mature. Just like ArtNJ said- it is dependent on temperature and usually involves the tips. What color is your friend's cat? I've never heard of dark stripes appearing on the mid-body so that is a new one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Premier Cat

I think we'd ALL love to see a photo of this unusual kitty!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds more like some sort of dirt or stain, not a fur change color. Try washing it with some Dawn dish soap on a wet wash cloth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Premier Cat

Pointed cats (such as Siamese, Ragdolls, etc.) change color as they mature, but an actual stripe would be odd. As doodlebug suggested, I'd first make sure it isn't dirt. If not, then is this truly a stripe, or just a bit of black coloring or a black patch on the side of her body? And do you know what breed the cat is? My Muffs (a Ragdoll) was almost all white when I adopted her, with just a bit of grey around her eyes/nose. By the time she was 8 months, her face was much darker and she developed several black patches on her body, which had never been there before. Those black patches remain today. I don't have "before" and "after" pictures of the patches on her side, but I do for her face.

Below is a picture of Muffs taken on her first day home, followed by a picture taken about 8 or 9 months later. You can see how much darker her coloring is:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Tom Cat

Our cats have had a black line on them a few times from the bicycle chains. We keep our bikes in the basement during the winter.

My Siamese has gotten very dark since her baby hood as has my mix. Both were much whiter as babies.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Before and after stripe emerged:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	83249

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9846.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	83257

Last edited by Daisypoppy; 03-20-2015 at 07:41 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Premier Cat

That is odd. This is sudden?? Stupid question but has she tired washing it off?? Maybe it's soot or something else? I've never seen anything like that before - especially if it was very sudden.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Tom Cat

Yeah are you sure it's not a grease mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page