2 Rags or One Rag and a Coon? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

2 Rags or One Rag and a Coon?

I will be purchasing a kitten in the summer and I have all ready decided on a ragdoll. I am now contemplating on getting two kittens! While the rag comes from the big island I have found a maine coon breeder on my resident island having kittens at the same time.

Two ragdolls from the same litter male and female or one rag and one maine coon?

Will the expense of owning two large cats increase by say 40%..

Also I have never taken my previous cat to the vet for annual checkups only when say he got a cyst from fighting and he was rock solid for over 15 years. Not even vaccinations, I would not subject him to that modern medicine with money being no issue..

Will the pedigree cats require special treatment vet wise as I still hold the same point of view..

Last edited by marie73; 03-26-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Premier Cat

Some breeder contracts will require vaccinations. That's not saying you HAVE to follow the breeder contract but it will void any warranty they have on your kittens. Say if something genetic pops up later they can back out of their contract citing that you didn't vaccinate.

Just saying.

If I had a choice and money were no option and they were coming to my home at roughly the same time.. I would get one of each unless I learned that one or the other was deeply bonded with a litter mate and the breeder suggested they go together.

As for vets, I still suggest a yearly checkup especially as cats age. Once they have a baseline for bloodwork and a cat ages they can track changes each year and catch any issues BEFORE they become a crisis. My vet knows I don't vaccinate and she's OK with that, but I still take them in yearly for check ups to make sure everything is copacetic and they are in good health.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Premier Cat

I would get one of each breed. If you're getting your kittens around 12 wks., most breeders will have already had them vaccinated for rabies when they are at least 12 weeks old (or 3 months old), as well as the combo vaccines for chlamydia, feline rhinotracheitis, panleukopenia and calici virus (administered at 8 and 12 weeks).

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 03-26-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

They should at least have their kitten series of vaccines. You were lucky with an outdoor cat that there weren't any issues.

I'm a bit partial to Maine Coons (Holly) so I vote for at least one Coonie.

Both breeds are prone several genetic medical conditions. The worst of which is heart disease (HCM). Your breeders should be screening for this. But even if the parents don't show any signs of it, it doesn't mean it can't develop in their offspring. So you will need to do yearly check ups to monitor their hearts. Catching it early means that you may be able to prolong their life with medication.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

So everyone votes for a maine coon and a rag...Hmmmm guess thats what ill get, ill have to trade my arm and my leg for them
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Premier Cat

I'm partial to Ragdolls, since Muffs is a purebred Ragdoll and Abby is a Ragdoll/Persian mix. Nonetheless, I would cast my vote for a Ragdoll and a Maine Coon, rather than two Ragdolls...since a bit of variety is nice!

Don't assume all Ragdolls are large cats. Muffs is 6 years old (so fully mature), but she only weighs 8.5 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page